Notices

Thread: Hello from Central Texas

1. Hello from Central Texas 
    Hi everyone. I'm a 62 y/o newbie to RC flying. I spent most of my life working as a paramedic and managed to fit in the time to get a pilots license in full-scale aircraft. I'm retired now but have something called Meniere's Disease that keeps me from passing a flight physical. RC flying is the next best thing. I currently fly an E-flite Apprentice, a Park Zone UM J-3 Cub, and a Hobby Zone Champ. Waiting in the hangar are a Focke Wulf FW-190 and a EDF Sea Vixen. I say waiting because I'm not quite good enough to try either one yet. It gives me something to look forward to though.

Storm

It's never too late to start!

One of these days I'm going to try for a private license... It's a really big commitment and I have respect for anyone who goes thru with it. Really stinks about the medical issues but on the positive side, there's always RC which is less risky anyway.

Sounds like a good start too! The Apprentice is a great airplane, as are the other two. Once you're legitimately comfortable flying the Apprentice though, most anything else that's an RTF type of airplane won't really be any trouble for you. Especially if you go to something bigger. They just won't necessarily right themselves if you let go of the sticks and you have to be a little more careful about not slowing down too much on your final approach. Otherwise, go for it! Aerobatics are fun.

-Eric

Thanks! Next on my list is the FW-190. I had a more experienced friend fly it and the landing speed was actually slower than the Apprentice thanks to the flaps. The EDF Sea Vixen is another story. He reports it to be very stable but approach/landing speed is pretty fast. I'm thinking another two weeks on the Apprentice before I try the FW. I'll get to the Vixen when I feel ready.

Storm

Hey Stormrider -- like that handle...

... Fellow newbie from New England here... got hooked big time this Spring on r/c flying (have had r/c sailboats for 10 years)...

... You know it's bad when you wake up and first thing you do is start looking at tree tops to see if the wind is calm enough for some crack-of-dawn beginner flight time, right?

... Only saving grace is that if it's too windy for me to fly, it's almost windy enough for me to sail. LOL

Cheers, Dave / aka Dparture
    Sea2Sky2See