Notices

Thread: supermarine spitfire

1. Cool supermarine spitfire 
    anyone built a sterling spitfire vintage kit george harris 63" im halfway finished just wondering how it performed going brushless

Welcome!

I can't tell you how the specific plane performs since I lack experience, but I wanted to make sure you weren't left out to dry without any replies also.

From my own personal warbird experience though, make sure your CG is good. And then make sure two or three more times. A tail-heavy airplane is a pain to fly. A tail-heavy warbird is another story altogether! Especially since you're going electric compared to glow/nitro power, you'll likely end up with a lighter nose moment than if you had gone nitro. This makes ensuring the proper CG extra critical!

Photos are always appreciated around here.

-Eric

thanks guess there's no sterling fans here #1 sterling spitfire super marine in progress wing is half built. #2 some of my builds zaggi is balsa talk bout finding the CG still lookig for it! #3 sterling swiezer 126-d yet to throw this one saving it for torry pines #4 terra crusher ready to throw in the trash no engine or clutch it was free. i am throwing a power pod on the f- 16 its a foamie covered in ultra coat had electric on the pod for a while am changing to fuel have a 25 ready to go for it should still slope on a good hill. needs a steady 15 wind to sloap without power and gets a little tiresome waiting for the wind. it's gonna haul a## with the nitro. will get some pics of the spit as it progresses . the geen and yellow plane is a Goldberg 64 nice trainer fly's perfectly awesome wing. and the gentle lady crappy kit but nice wing light too just rudder and elevator kepper flat
    Last edited by z28convert; 06-27-2013 at 01:03 AM.

4. some of my toys 
    fuse in progress
    Attached Images

Looking good! I expect photos after she's finished! Quite the collection of various airplanes too! I like it! Cool photo view from the roof also. Never woulda thunk it.

Terra Crusher is still engineless...

-Eric

started out along time ago with alot of free fight in the 70's old gullowes kits always great to set them up to turn and elevate you nvr new which way it was going old cox motors then i started buying those foam planes that did loops hand launch around $5.00 set them up with homemade power pod and black widow engine little right turn lost two of them when they hit the jet stream they ran out of gas would straighten out and just dissapear good ol day's for sure.
    Last edited by z28convert; 06-28-2013 at 12:58 AM.

Oh nice! I never really played with free flight other than the little 5-piece kits that always ended up in the neighbor's yard. I've build a couple rubber kits now but used the first one for "practice" and converted one to R/C as the purpose of the build.

I've got a Tiger 60 sitting in the box waiting for a flat surface to be glued together on. I figure I'm going to be very broke for a while after I buy a house (hopefully soon!) so gluing sticks together can't be too expensive until I need to start buying electronics and what not. If I actually take my time for once and do it right though, I think it'll take long enough that I can afford it over the winter.

Wall of shame lol... I haven't actually managed to total an airplane yet. I'm not sure how. There for a while we were flying at least 5-10 hours a week. And my goal for a while was to see how low I could get my little Twist .40 to hover. The rudder has grass stains and the servo gears are stripped. I think I did okay.

I've been close though. That plane has been broken in half, an Ultra Stick .40 lost the nose in an unfortunate "crow" incident, and my 50cc MX-2 had a terrible radio problem that resulted in a nice cartwheel. All of them still flying though!!

-Eric

Hi there;
    I have recently started

9. Model Airplane News Help 
    Hi there;
    I have recently started to build this spitfire; however, I for some reason cannot find the drawings for the F4A and B (bulk heads for the removable top) as well as F9C. It is obviously a scratch build, just wondering if you can point me in the right direction
    Thanks for your time
    Mark

10. supermarine 
    is this the kit we are talking about
    Attached Images

11. Model Airplane News Spit 
    Quote Originally Posted by z28convert View Post
    is this the kit we are talking about
    Is it designed by George Harris?

sent a post didn't work, anyway this kit harris does not have templates only drawing and instructions the parts are all numbered except for the block wood that is sand to fit my wing is on the plan can't see what your talking about till i remove wing and turn it over will do this soon
    Attached Images
    Last edited by z28convert; 07-24-2013 at 07:16 PM.

13. Thumbs up Spitfire 
    Your kit looks similar to the one that I am building, I have included 3 pictures of the fuselage planes, do they match yours? If they do you can see that in the 3rd drawing I have circled the bulk heads (formers) in question. If this is the same kit any chance I could get a copy of the build instructions? Thanks for taking the time to help me out, your kit looks great so far, hope you post more as the build continues, I'd like to see it completed!
    Spitfire 1.jpg

Spitfire 2.jpg

Spitfire 3.jpg

saturday looks good have to pullup the plan your building this from scratch can't imagine lots of pieces parts

15. spitfire 
    Yah, I may have to improvize some of them.

ps all instructions are on the plan only no easy way out i have a plan for a airtronics jetfire 40 was the best kit plane i ever built but my son destroyed it learning to fly 15 years ago any way got the plan only on ebay still trying to figure out how i'm going to build it. i am kicking myself now did not trace out any parts i assembled on spitfire will be glad to assist you any way i can. are you going to go with the fixed landing gear they made the wing extra tuff for this retrakes are the thing today just didn't have an idea how to install ps more pics sunday i have business today too
    Last edited by z28convert; 07-27-2013 at 09:56 AM.

17. Thumbs up spitfire 
    Quote Originally Posted by z28convert View Post
    ps all instructions are on the plan only no easy way out i have a plan for a airtronics jetfire 40 was the best plane i ever built but my son destroyed it learning to fly 15 years ago any way got the plan on ebay bet it was the same guy you got yours from no template just an extra plan still trying to figure out how i'm going to build it. i am kicking myself now did not trace out any parts i assembled on spitfire will be glad to assist you any way i can
    Yah I had one like that too 15 yrs ago I gave it up because I started to fly real planes and now am a Flight Instructor. Getting back into it though and it has changed so much since then. To be honest I down loaded them off the net as a pdf file, google George Harris Spitfire 1962, and you will find them. I have to teah ground school tomorrow if I get a chance I will post a link to the site for you. Thanks again for all your help!

18. supersubmarine 
    instructions for spitfire these are not the instructions for the sterling kit not even close very good history though good luck
    Attached Images
    Last edited by z28convert; 08-03-2013 at 11:55 PM.

wing center
    Attached Images

Okay thanks for your help. When I saw your pics of your spit it looked close but wasn't to sure on how close they were. Thanks for all yoyr time and effort to he me out!

Just so you know, if you have plans a lot of places will cut you out a "short kit" with a laser cutting machine. You'll have to supply the stock for stringers and what not, but you should be able to find someone to cut out frames/ribs for you!

-Eric

22. Thumbs up spitfire 
    Thank for that info, there are places that will do it, but I enjoy the building process as much as flying.