Notices

Thread: Sealing around Servos

1. Sealing around Servos 
    I have just finished installing the first aileron servo in the AW Extra 300 60/90 I am building and I noticed that there is a 2 mm gap all around the servo to the Ultracote. I would like to seal this gap and was won dering what is the best to use, silicone?

I never really bothered with sealing up the area around the servos. It won't ever hurt anything to leave the gap unless you plan on flying in the rain quite a lot. Silicone is going to make the servo extremely difficult to pull out in the event that you ever need to. I think if I really felt the need to, I'd probably try to build up the area the best I could with some spare balsa and then either paint it to match, or use just a little bit of covering to hide the bonus material.

-Eric

Thanks Eric, I agree silicone will make the servo very hard to remove. I was just concerned that the wind ripping at the gap might cause the Ultracote to start and disbond there.

That is definitely a possibility depending on how you cut out the servo openings. I tend to use a knife to cut diagonally across in both directions, then seal the edges back down into the wing/fuselage before I install the servo so that it'd have a very hard time coming out. Another good technique seems to be using a soldering iron to cut the opening with the tip. This also seals down the edges.

If you've already got it cut to the edge with a normal sharp knife, soaking a little bit of CA into the wood/covering at that location will also work magic. Use one of the applicator tips though so you don't put too much on. It's easy to get carried away. It makes the covering nearly impossible to remove at that location but if you wreck bad enough to replace that bit of covering, I'd bet the servo will also be coming out.

-Eric

Two other things to try when cutting out openings in covering
    Use a soldering iron to cut around the opening. The heat from the soldering iron will seal down the covering to the edge.
    Use MonoKote Trim Solvent around the edges to seal them down completely, that is if you did not seal the edges down like described above.