Notices

Thread: P51 Mustang exhaust system

1. P51 Mustang exhaust system 
    P51 Mustang exhaust system
    Has anyone tried making an exhaust system for an OS Max ringed engine that would exhaust out the original exhaust ports on the airplane? I plan using the engine in an inverted posistion but would like to exhaust the exhaust through the sides like the original. Maybe this is not feasible but would feedback on same. If so, are there any companies fabricating same? I have a retired tool and die friend that makes small engines for a hobby and he thinks it is possible. Don't have any idea of added weight that there would be. Shouldn't be any more than a muffler though. Thanks in advance, Old Iron nut.

There's a company that used to do exactly this for Saito and big gas engines for popular Mustang, Spitfire, etc. kits. I wish I could remember the brand so you could check them out for reference but I can't remember right now.

Anyway, a few things things you'll need to watch out for are making sure to maintain sufficient muffler pressure ("back pressure" if you want to call it that) so that the fuel tank has enough pressure to feed the engine, and preventing the long moment arm from causing cracking depending on your construction method. It may be necessary to brace the muffler against the engine mounting tabs or something similar to keep any leverage to a minimum.

Aside from that, 2-strokes tend to make a lot of oily gunky mess with their oil-rich smoke. So just be ready for quite a bit of cleanup both outside the plane and underneath the cowl.

If you manage to pull this off, I want to see it running. Would be really cool.

-Eric

rccardude04
    Many thanks for the reply. The reason that I would like to do this is I hate to cut the cowl up and spoil the looks of the plane. I would like to keep it like a real one. I've got lots of time to study this thing and will eventually find a way. Thanks again, Old Iron nut.

I totally know where you're coming from. I tried really hard on my Piper Cub to get the exhaust in a scale location. I failed, but did end up with something a little less intrusive than the normal Saito exhaust on it, so it was a good compromise.

If you do something really cool that works out, I still want to see it.

-Eric

rccardude, in the May issue of MAN on pg 3 of the Tower Hobbies ad (after pg 70 of MAN ) , DLE has an ad advertising engines with rear exhaust. This may make things easier exhaust wise. One could easily split the exhaust up and send it out both sides of the plane. Cheers, Old Iron nut.

I'll look it up.

Is your engine the 55cc gasoline/petrol engine then?

That should be easy to rig something up for! Muffler pressure for the fuel source is not required.

-Eric

rccardude04
    My engine os an OS Max 50 ringed. It came with the P51 Mustang that I bought a an auction sale. Neither engine or plane have been flown. This unit was advertised on the box as ARF. ARF my backside! The retracts had to been installed with the servo and I have yet to fabricate the pushrods to work same. I ended up cutting access holes in the already covered wing to enable me to get a hole that I could get a rod in to actuate the retracts. This plane is nowhere ready to fly. It would have been a lot easier if the covering had been left off. I cannot even change the colour. It is presently yellow and I want it to be silver as the original. Tried painting it after scuffing the cover but the paint that was supposed to work just ran off. I am seriously considering removing the plastic type covering and recovering it with the colour that I want. Problem is, the covering has been very applied and I hate to change it. I am not excited with the yellow though. Cheers, Old Iron nut.

Hah, I know how you feel. I'm assuming this isn't your first airplane?

I know sometimes the whole ARF thing you'd swear would be easier if it was just a kit to begin with. I haven't done a full r/c kit yet but I've done a small rubber-band-powered balsa kit converted to electric and another one built per the plans. I have a Goldberg Tiger .60 sitting in the box over in the corner but haven't had a chance to put it together yet. That should be fun when/if I ever have the time.

-Eric