Notices

Thread: Scale plans question

1. Scale plans question 
    I just bought a 1/4 scale Spitfire plan, and have a question. The drawing has very thick lines (2-3mm)... Do I cut the parts following the outer part of the lines, the inner part or the center? Or are all ok, as long as I do the same for all parts?

The wing ribs will of course be 4-6mm thicker if I cut along the outside of the lines in stead of the inside...

Any advice is apreciated?

Always better to cut too big and have to sand down than too small...

This is the issue we had with the old kits that had the parts outlines silk-screened on the wood... not even die-cut (die-crushed). If you cut to the inside of the lines it was always too small.

Quote Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
    Always better to cut too big and have to sand down than too small...

This is the issue we had with the old kits that had the parts outlines silk-screened on the wood... not even die-cut (die-crushed). If you cut to the inside of the lines it was always too small.
    Ok... But sand down to...what size? What is the correct size? Outer part of the line? Center?...

Sand to fit...

How you pin/clamp down the long sticks (spars, leading edge...) will determine the exact fit of the ribs.

Sand the spar slots into the ribs by gluing sandpaper to a short piece of the spar stock.

Sand the stringer slots in the fuselage formers in a similar manner.

Quote Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
    Sand to fit...

How you pin/clamp down the long sticks (spars, leading edge...) will determine the exact fit of the ribs.

Sand the spar slots into the ribs by gluing sandpaper to a short piece of the spar stock.

Sand the stringer slots in the fuselage formers in a similar manner.
    Maybe I'm not clear enough.. The problem is the ribs.. If I follow the outer part of the line, the wing will be much thicker than if I follow the inside...

Without actually having the same plans and comparing to measurements from the full scale aircraft, I can't be certain how thick the wing should be.

Again.. you can sand down if you cut too large. its very hard to correct if its too small.

you can get some indication by comparing the slot shape for the spar with the drawing.

Does the spar:
    A) just fit inside the lines (you need all of the line as part of the rib then)
    B) does it cover all of the lines at once (probably can cut to the inside of the lines)
    C) somewhere in between (most common... cut large and sand to fit)