Notices

Thread: New guy Orient, Ohio

1. New guy Orient, Ohio 
    Hi gang, after 40 years of recreational general aviation flying, I now do what I wished I could when I was a teen and I'm loving it. I bought a Dynam Hawksky early this year and taught myself to fly it. I'd planned to use it for learning only, then moving up to aerobatic, warbird or homebuilt type models. When I caught my first thermal, that was all she wrote. All I want now are motor gliders though I do have a couple dream planes like the Dyke Delta. I have started a Sig Riser kit I'll add power to, and a 70's vintage Bauer Modelle Pilatus B4 kit that I'll fab a removable power pod for. I have several places I fly, from the ball park down to the street to my friends private airport down the road a piece. If anyone is familiar with the Bauer Modelle kit I'd like to communicate with you. The direct German translation is sketchy to say the least. I'm having to ad lib alot of it. Best, Bob

Welcome.

We have our ups and downs. 40 years of full scale flying wow! What do/did you fly mainly? Or is there a whole list?

Can't say I've ever been terribly into gliders but I still would like to give it a shot. I'd love to try slope soaring but live in Kansas... There's not much of the whole mountain/big hill thing near me. lol

-Eric

I tried slop gliding once and it was a lot of fun. Hopefully that'll be the type of flying that I will be doing once I retire too :-)

Hey seerjfly, its been nice to know more about you

Sorry guys, have'nt checked on here in a long time. I thought maybe I registered on a dead forum. Eric, Light stuff only, started out in an Aeronca Champ, Cessna 140, 150, 172, Cub etc. with a few ultralights and a Skybolt thrown in there. It's been fun, but with the price of 'dumb stuff' like food and utilities "skyrocketing" I needed a less expensive outlet. I did'nt care much about gliders at first, but there's no turning back now. The Riser flew away, the Hawksky went straight into a bean field never to be found. The Pilatus is on hiatus (I kill me) due to space in the garage and I've been flying a Dynam Sonic 185 motorglider. A friend gave me a mostly built Durafly Fly Baby the other day with motor and 6Ch Futaba radio that I'll get on this winter.

John, the only slope close is the reservoir dam down the road and on a weekend there are too many curious people to fly around. Week days might be better, but the wind has'nt been right. It looks like a lot of fun in the videos I've seen. Bob