Notices

Thread: skiis on micro and backyard fliers

1. skiis on micro and backyard fliers 
    I used to fly off skiis with my nitro planes and loved it. Does anyone on here fly with skiis on micros or backyard fliers? If so how did you make the skiis?

I've been thinking about doggie bag foam types you get from a restaraunt but havent played with it yet. How to do it, keep it light and keep the skiis level is my problem so far.

depending on how small the model is... "PET" soda bottle (common 20 oz to 2 liter) material with toothpick or popsicle stick support and trimmed (scrap) control horns as the mounts.

Control of the ski angle is by a limit preventing excess nose-up (of the ski) and a spring of some sort (dental rubber band segment CA'd on...) holding it at that limit when not on the ground.

Appx 30% of the ski in front of the axle.
    Ski should be appx 8 X as long as wide. 1.5 to 2 X as wide as oem tire is typical

If proportions are perfect and the front of the ski curls up just right the ski will "fly" at the right angle and no spring (as above) is needed.
    This is more a matter of luck than being something you can predict when making skis from pop bottles.

The foam take-out containers will not hold up as the skis. Might work for a few flights but they will break or erode away.

Thanks, now I can start with a plan. Never thought of the 2 lliter pop bottles.

careful use of "e-6000" glue from hobby-lobby craft store holds PET to wood.

Excess will melt the PET

Ok, thanks, but if I use epoxy or CA will it hold? If not, it's off to hobby lobby.

ca and epoxy peel off PET.

Its kind of like gluing the old plastic model airplane kits....
    a little glue works
    too much melts the parts.

I'm very farmiliar with old model airplane kits, I must have 600 unbuilt kits. Thanks, I'll be careful with the glue. I just use lots of CA glue and expoxy so will be careful.