Notices

Thread: Problem with the Flyzone TX-R Albatros

1. Problem with the Flyzone TX-R Albatros 
    Flyzone Albatros TX-R airplane - Don't buy it unless you have a computer radio

I just purchased the TX-R version of the Albatros at the WRAM show in NY. I was interested to try this AnyLink thing and the plane looked kinda cute. Should be good for in front of the house on quiet afternoons. It was too windy to fly it yesterday but I did get a chance to set it up.

WHY DID THEY STICK THE RUDDER ON THE LEFT STICK?

On a 3 channel R/E/T plane the rudder should be on the right stick. In fact if you look at the manual for the RTF Albatros it shows the rudder on the right stick.

This is usually accomplished by putting the rudder into the aileron channel in the receiver. But on the TX-R planes they have it on the left stick. The receiver is sealed inside the plane so you can't get to it to move the servo to the aileron channel without cutting the plane open.

If you have a computer radio, you can use a mix to map the aileron to rudder at 100% and fix their mistake. But if you are tyring to fly this with a standard radio the rudder is on the wrong stick.

I sent a note to Hobbico to see what they suggest to fix this mistake in manufacturing. They told me how to fix it on my computer radio but had no solution for a standard radio.

I WON'T BE BUYING ANYMORE TX-R 3 CHANNEL PLANES IF THEY ARE ALL MESSED UP LIKE THIS.

What they have managed to do is get the channel order wrong ... in the model.

I'm not sure how hard it would be to open the model up and check. maybe it just got the servo plugged in the wrong place at the factory. Easy enough to do if its not using a brick as in the Parkzone micros.

A lot of local guys put the rudder on the left stick... It seems to be personal preference.

Personally, I'm with you; I like having primary flight controls on the right stick and throttle/rudder on the left. I use rudder to coordinate turns but it's nice being able to fly with the right stick alone if necessary (shooing off bugs or important phone calls at the wrong time LOL).

I wonder if you couldn't pull the transmitter apart and swap the potentiometers over... or at least solder the rudder input to the aileron gimbal?

-Eric

That would mess up the TX for everything else he flies... and mess up any programming functions based on aileron.

Quote Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
    That would mess up the TX for everything else he flies... and mess up any programming functions based on aileron.

I kinda mis-read and thought it was referencing the RTF radio. I know it says tx-r but I had a brain fart.

If it was the only aircraft that the radio was paired with, it'd probably be a good solution but you're right; if it's used on other aircraft, it's not such a great idea.

-Eric

I have one of these, and it flew great the first few flights, and now the darn thing won't throttle up. I'm done with flyzone. First I had two of the beechcraft stagger wings, they didn't work, so I wrote em on it, and then sent them back, got two new ones, and they didn't work, absolutely none of the electronics worked an any of the four. Told em about it and they sent me an 18" prop. Why? Then I bought one of their micro cessnas, the maroon colored one. everything worked, just didn't have enough power to get it off the groound. Then I ordered a cirrus, and the charger didn't work, had to buy one, they refused to replace it. And now the albetross. I"d just warn everyone to stay away from these flyzone planes, it's not worth the problems .

I got things figured out and can fly it fine now. I got mine as a RTF model and it is set up with the rudder on the right stick with the elevator. I think I would buy it RTF instead of the anylink way. Cost is about the same after buying the anylink deal. Nice to know of the problems, now I can avoid the problems with the anylink stuff.