Thread: Proctor (VK) 1/6 Sopwith Camel

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Proctor (VK) 1/6 Sopwith Camel 
    Started the project about 3 years ago.

    The plane has sat covered, ready for flying wires to be re-installed (the first set failed before test flight) for about 2 years now.

    It may take a while to get this up to the current status.

    First step was to take the plans in to a drafting company and have them copied and mirror image copied so I could cut up the copies and I'd have right and left of each part.

    Next was making forming jigs for the laminated bent wood wingtips and tailplane parts.
    (I still have these jigs)

    Glue the tip plan to 1/8 inch plywood.
    Cut that out on a bandsaw
    Sand to final shape
    Glue to a plywood base
    Use a file to remove any glue that squeezed out
    cover with plastic wrap to prevent gluing the part to the jig.
    And start producing the parts.

    Note: upper and lower wing tips are the same.
    Attached Images

    While waiting for glue to dry on the above jigs and working on assembling the tail planes, I punched all the parts out of the sheet balsa and plywood, compared to the plans to ID each part, bagged the tiny bits, labeled larger bits and arranged the wing ribs in the order they would go in the wings.

    You might be able to see the color variations in the wing ribs indicating different wood density. I did my best to keep the heavier ribs toward the wing roots and to match weights on each side.
    Attached Images

    My building board for the wings and fuselage is a hollow core door with 1 inch pink insulation foam glued on. Doors tend to be straight and stiff.

    Pin the plans down and cover with plastic wrap. Then start laying out the spars, leading edge and trailing edge.

    The spars in the Sopwith upper wing have "scarf joints" and laminations I rearranged the joints vs the way shown in the plans to get the joints further from high stress points.

    The spars are trapped with pins, clamped and then held down with bags of lead shot. while the glue cures.

    The roll of tape was used to form the bent/laminated part at the wing center. The roll just happened to have the correct diameter at the right time.

    The ailerons are cut free after the final photo in this post.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by fhhuber; 10-07-2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: photo upload fail

    Nice building shots -- that will keep you busy this winter!

    If you're going electric, the new Power 50 from E-flite might be a good powerplant. Of course, a nice 4-stroke would definitely sound better!

    Its already got the motor installed. 5055-b from

    I'll get to showing it in a few more posts

    Fuselage construction photos need resizing to get them uploaded.


    Assembled (temporarilly), checking strut mounts and alignments, ready for covering

    The yardstick struts are test pieces to check that I found the right lengths.
    Attached Images

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts