Notices

Thread: Introduce Yourself

1. Introduce Yourself 
    If you are new here or have been here a long time take a second and introduce yourself to the community. Tell us a little about you and your hobby.

In the late 1960's my father rebuilt a full scale airplane in our house from 2 badly damaged Porterfield 35-W's. For 3 years there was an airplane wing on top of mom's piano.

I have over 40 years of involvement with model aviation. I can't remember I time I wasn't trying to make things out of balsa to fly them.

Over 30 years of AMA membership. Now a Life Member.

I participated in the NATS at Olatha, KS (1968 or 69?) in a special event for Cub Scouts flying the AMA Cub FF rubber power models which are still available through SIG or the AMA website.

In 1974 I designed my first control line model... which would have been better off for free flight or RC. It flew but didn't want to stay down.

In 1975 I got my first digital proportional RC system.

I fly models from 1/2 oz to over 20 lbs. Gasoline, Glow fuel, electric, sailplanes... pre-WWI to futuristic designs.

I enjoy experimenting and seeing the different characteristics of all types of aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
    In the late 1960's my father rebuilt a full scale airplane in our house from 2 badly damaged Porterfield 35-W's. For 3 years there was an airplane wing on top of mom's piano.

I have over 40 years of involvement with model aviation. I can't remember I time I wasn't trying to make things out of balsa to fly them.

Over 30 years of AMA membership. Now a Life Member.

I participated in the NATS at Olatha, KS (1968 or 69?) in a special event for Cub Scouts flying the AMA Cub FF rubber power models which are still available through SIG or the AMA website.

In 1974 I designed my first control line model... which would have been better off for free flight or RC. It flew but didn't want to stay down.

In 1975 I got my first digital proportional RC system.

I fly models from 1/2 oz to over 20 lbs. Gasoline, Glow fuel, electric, sailplanes... pre-WWI to futuristic designs.

I enjoy experimenting and seeing the different characteristics of all types of aircraft.
    fnhuber Welcome,
    It's great to have someone with your kind of experience here. I look forward to seeing some of your projects in the future!

Hello, I'm a big fan of fighter jets and airplanes, so I decided tried to find a forum and just happen to stop by here, I have moderate autism so just because I have that doesn't mean you have to treat me like a baby or in other way, I just want to fit in like everyone else!

hello , all
    my hobby is fly rc airplay and DIY it , nice to meet you . i want to make friends with your, can I?

Hi,
    I lived in the Philippines. Got my 1st model airplane (Batt operated formed tin) a christmass gift when I was 5. It was 1960. On 1971, build rubber-powered from scratch (all local materials without balsa wood). Then at aged 12, I owned the C/L Miss America with Cox .049 from Sears-Roabucks mail order. It was fun to operate and heard model engine running for to the first time! Flown model airplane with escapement single-channel and reed Variophone . My first two-axis trainer R/C model was De Bolt's Livewire Champion build from scratch, O.S. 19 and PCS radio. Attended Phil. National Aeromodellers Tournament, 1989 before being inactive on the hobby. And backed to competition on 2006. Until then I still loved scratch-building with our local materials and those were ideal for petrol engine! Also I am building the full-sized miniMAX and managed to build 2 r/c gassers Cubs simultaneously from Street & Smith Publication, 1954, enlarged plans. Used to buy blue/white printed plans of Dave Platt from M.A.N. way back late 70's.
    Last edited by Flying Knight; 11-09-2011 at 10:09 PM.

I built many model airplanes(ucontrol and plastic models) but never flew any. In the early 90's I wanted to try rc flying but my wife made me get rc cars instead. Now I'm in my 60's and I am going to try flying again.
    Marvin

Hello All,

I am a lifelong fan of aircraft, just now relieving the dreaded mid-life crisis with RC aircraft. I have enjoyed building static Guillows kits and many plastic models since I was young, and there has been a 1/12 scale Twin Otter kit designed for electrics sitting in my closet for nearly 10 years. I plan to complete and fly this fine plane in summer.

My main interests are bush planes and STOL aircraft, with a particular fondness for float equipped aircraft. I have just purchased a HobbyZone Super Cub RTF to learn with, and have an eye on a AirField Sky Trainer for a full control set of flaps and ailerons introduction after that...foam for starters before the Twin Otter ever taxies seems wise.

Glad to be here!

Lochinvar

Hi there Welcome to the forums

Hello, new here from Jacksonville Florida. I fly electric airplanes and have had them on and off for years, but I'm still a newbe when it comes to flying experience. I've also picked up a new interest of electric helicopters.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin2 View Post
    If you are new here or have been here a long time take a second and introduce yourself to the community. Tell us a little about you and your hobby.
    HELLO ALL.........73 yrs old.....building my fourth giant scale,,, topflite corsair..have 1/4

Hello all..............am giant scale nut.......

12. newbie With HK6S receiver question 
    Hi guys,

I'm recently retired, 30 years of EAA homebuilding experience and GA flying. Needed a cheaper hobby involving aircraft, so here I am. I bought a bunch of RC components, a J3 foamie, an HK6S TX and RX and I'm having fun. As the makers of the cheaper RC stuff are not much for manuals or assembly instructions, I am hoping this forum will be helpful. My HK 6S receiver has 7 sets of pins, marked ch 1-6, and ID SET. No label for battery input. Nothing came with the Receiver except a bind plug and I have instructions for that (such as they are!) Any ideas would be great. I am also concerned about voltage polarity as the pin sets appear to lack a polarity "notch" so connectors go on either way. Maybe I'm over thinking this. Please set me straight. Thanks, Rick

59 years old. Manager of Railroad Signal Company. Understand a little electronics. I have not flown a model airplane for a very very long time. That was when you had strings attached for elevator. I was give a nitro 36" Cub trainer with rubber bands holding the wing on. Old Style 6 channel RcTech receiver and Transmitter with Kraft servos. Controls work ok. Elevator and Rudder only.

Trying to learn all I can about flying this unit. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

An old radio might be illegal for use now. (in the US )
    Kraft quit making RC equipment in the mid 1980's. I have not heard of RCTech.
    In the late 1980's the RC frequencies were reassigned and some of the old frequencies were made obsolete.
    Requirement to retire or modify the old radios was in 1991.

Modern radios are far more reliable than the systems made in the 1980s.

30+ yr old nylon gears in the old Kraft servos will be brittle and won't survive a crash that wouldn't bother a new servo.

There are some old radio equipment collectors. Its possible you could sell the old stuff and get enough to buy a new radio system.

Hello all,
    well to start I've been flying planes since high school (late 50's). Control line was the only thing I new about back then.. Local hardware store sold planes (kits) and all the accessories one would need...Spent all my money in that store..First plane was an Old Fire Chief...first flight made a half circle and a solder joint gave way...later found out it was what we call a cold solder joint..used a screw driver heated over a gas burner on the stove, which only melted the solder, never heated the wire hot enough..
    Went in the service, started a family and business, so was away from the hobby for a few years. Found a Great Planes Skybolt at a yard sale in '77, and been things just kinda took off again...that plane looked to pretty and I never flew it for serval years was afraid I'd wreck it, which I would've. ..Learned to fly on a Craft Air Butterfly with an OS 15...wore that plane and the engine out and went to a Balsa USA Swizel Stik, then an Ace 4-60, which I kept for 20 years, recovered twice and wore out two OS 61 4 storkers on it.When I retired in '99 and finally got my shop I always wanted built..That now looks like a hobby shop...Like alot of guys I know and read about I more STUFF, as my wiffe says, than I'll ever use or KITS I'll never have time to build..Went through 4 Great Planes 40 size U CAN DO'S learning to fly 3D, which I'm still trying to improve upon. At the present I fly mostly Gassers from 20 cc through 100cc..Extra 260, 20 cc and the 100 is on a Extreme Flight Yak 101". Still have the last U CAN DO, which I fly every now and then just for the heck of it and when I don't feel like getting one of the gassers out...Fly every chance I get westher permitting.

16. Cool  
    Hello all-- im Bama1 AKA(HAWKEYE) I fly with Morodie, my broyher in law. LETS TALK PLANES

17. Introduce yourself 
    I just returned to RC activities after a long lay off (30 years). I am into scratch buildings , mostly gas powered. I live in Singapore , looking forward to fellow modeller's articles in this forum.

Coming to you from stormy central Florida, Ormond Beach. What's up fellow pilots? I have been flying for about a year. Started out with an apprentice, and have worked my way up to Aerobatic planes. I have a foamie Katana, and a foamie Sbach 342. Just received my PA Bandit, can't wait to open the box. I belong to the Ormond Beach radio Control Club, and the Flagler County Rams. I have found that RC pilots are a great bunch of people, and are more than happy to help you along. I am looking forward to sharing information, and perhaps picking up a tip or two.

_5261677-2-Edit-1-3.jpg
    Last edited by JerryZ; 07-11-2014 at 03:13 PM. Reason: add photo

19. Free Iphone6 for you! Letís help tattu world hit 8000 like to win Iphone6 
    Like this page and join the activity: https://www.facebook.com/TattuBattery

Prize: 1 1 Tattu battery+ 1 T-shirt+ 1Cap( 1 person)
    2. 40% coupon+1 T-shirt+1 Cap ( 10 person)
    3. Tattu battery poster (30 person)

5000+ like , the winner list will be released

Attention: Once we hit 8000+ like, we will send one IPHONE 6 to our fans (before2014.11.10)
    like many things,such as:uavs,drones,multirotors,helicopters,rc,dji,parrot,also focus on lithium battery,DJI Phantom 2 battery at http://www.genstattu.com

New Old Modeler...AMA12203, won 3d place 1/2A FF at Yankee Championships, NAS North Weymouth MA in 1956 with RAMROD 250 built from MAN magazine, still have both the plane ( flyable) and the magazine (readable). Still building and flying, ALES sailplanes to Peanut scale RC. IMG_1081 (1) Whitman Tailwind scratch buit.jpgAndreasson BA4-B-2.jpgIMG_1192.jpg
    Last edited by Beckerp360; 04-28-2015 at 08:12 PM.

AMA 12203 got it in 1955. First contest plane: RAMROD 250 scratch built from 1956 MAN magazine plans. Still have bothSlide3.jpgRamRod 250 1957-1.jpg. Took 3d 1/2A at 1956 Yankee Championships at NAS South Weymouth, MA first time out, now scratch building ALES sailplanes and Peanut Scale RC. Flying with Tri Area RC in Chimicum, WA starting Sequim-Dungeness Valley Silent Fliers as we speak. Also racing RC Sailboats since 1987: 36-600,IOM ( raced in IOM Worlds at Vancouver in 2004)... trying to retire....

Hi all, new here and new to RC flying. I have been learning on the Real Flight computer simulator and a Tower Hobbies trainer 40. Looking forward to the wealth of knowledge that I can glean from here. See ya on the flight line!!!

23. Husband passed I found small Go flow Airplane Motors 
    I was wondering if there is any one on this forum that would be able to help me identify these small motors and help me on the worth of them if any
    Attached Images