Notices

Thread: Airplanes & Helis flying together

1. Airplanes & Helis flying together 
    My flying club has been operating for over 30 years. Fixed wing airplanes were the norm. Recently new pilots started showing up with helicoptors. We are now having problems related to who has flying priority. The Club rule is that while fixed wing planes are flying, no helicoptors can be flying from the flight line at the same time. (We have a heli training area which is not affected by this rule.) Conversely, while helis are flying, no fixed wing planes can fly from the flight line at the same time.
    Pressure is on the Exec from heli pilots to allow both types of aircraft to fly from the flight line at the same time.
    I am the Club Safety Officer and can see only problems if both types are allowed to fly at the same time, but want to go back to the Exec with what other clubs experiences are when faced with this problem.
    Comments, please. Thanks. Walter.

You aren't alone. I think having both fly at the same time is problematic unless your field is large enough to devote an area to helis outside the pattern.

There's a big discussion in the works at Model Airplane News; click here to see what other folks are saying and add your 2 cents.

Thanks for the response, Debra. I have left my 2 cents worth (Canadian 2 cents, of course) on the discussion group you have created re: banning helicopters.
    I don't believe that banning them is addressing the issue. Fixed wing planes and helicopters are both aircraft, but their use has to have some separation - hence my starting this thread. My club's way to separate the two types of aircraft has been to rule that no helis fly from the flight line while fixed wing planes are flying, and no fixed wing planes fly while helis are flying from the flight line. Unfortunately, a few of the heli pilots have been convincing flying fixed wing pilots that it is OK for planes and helis to fly together, and have been doing so!
    Help from other's experience is what I am after so that we, as a club, can deal with this problem in as adult a fashion as possible.

Our club let both fly at the same time, only to have several colisions the same day, so to keep the peace we elected to keep them separated. It wasn't a popular vote, but has kept the midairs down to none between the two kinds of aircraft. A jet flies so fast, a heli pilot never knows it's coming, anyway we separated the two.

5. Airplanes & Helis flying together 
    Hi scumbucket. Too bad to hear about the plane-heli mid-air. I bet that got everyone's attention! At our club, the decision was made to only allow fixed wing to fly together or helis to fly together. Thankfully, we didn't have to go through an accident before making our decision.
    Thanks for replying.