Notices

Thread: Andy Lennon's Swift

1. Question Andy Lennon's Swift 
    I've just received my plans for Andy Lennon's Swift. The plans (at page 2) state, "Flap template, see text". Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the "text". I've searched the MAN archives and can't find a reference to a construction article. This will be my first scratch built airplane. I found a 2006 thread asking basically the same question, but found the answers inconclusive. Thanks. Walter.

2. MAN Sept 1993 
    The construction article for the Swift is in Model Airplane News Sept 1993.

3. Andy Lennon Swift 
    Thanks, Dave. I've tried MAN, but received no response. Do you have a copy of the article? If so, how could I get a copy from you?
    Thanks again. Roverflyer.

Walter, I sent you my email address on a private message. Dave

5. Lennon Swift 
    Hi Dave. I received your message and sent you an email with my email address, but haven't received the pdf from you yet. Any idea of a time frame to receive the pdf?
    Sorry to be a nuisance.
    Walter.

Hi Walter,
    I tried sending the PDF but I received a failure to send message. I will try again but it is a large file, the entire magazine. If it won't go through I will have to try to trim out the article at work next week where I have a full copy of Adobe.
    Dave

Hi Dave and/or Walter,

I also just recently bought the Swift plans after reading Andy Lennon's aero book and was hoping to find the build text. RC Model Magazine used to include a copy of the magazine text with plans purchases. Would either of you mind sending me the pdf?

Thanks!
    Dan

8. The Andy Lennon Swift 
    Hi Dan. I still have the pdf file I received from David and am building the Swift. In hindsight, I am not sure if I was so wise to build this airplane as my first scratch-built project. In my plans, the right flap is about 3/32 deeper in chord than the left flap. The construction article is written on the basis that the reader has read Lennon's previous construction articles - I haven't. His book gives good insight into the practicle use of the theoretics of aerodynamics, but, I found, don't help with some aspects of the specific model. E.G. The wing construction details missing from the article are not found in the book's chapter on wing aerodynamics. Lennon uses a 3-piece board on which to build the wing. The photo of the jig is unclear. I built the two wing panels separately and am at the stage of joining them - this in iyself may be a two or three beer project! Instead of using one central servo each for the flaps and ailerons (actuating the control surfaces via Nyrod or Golden Rod), I have installed separate servos for each flap and each aileron. I placed the servos in wing bays which allow a direct straight-line link to each control surface.
    Being new to Chat Rooms, I don't know how to get the pdf file to you without revealing my email address to all and sundry (which I don't want to do).
    Thanks. Walter.

Hi Walter,
    Dave was kind enough to email me the article already, so I'm good (I should have updated this thread).

I hear you on this being a challenging first scratch project. Having built a dozen or so planes from plans, there are definitely some easier builds and more complete plans out there. But you know, if you can struggle through this, you can certainly make it through anything :-) I'm still laughing at the parts list ... 1/64", 1/32", 1/16", 3/32", 1/8", and 3/16" plywood are ALL in there. Did Andy have a forest in his back yard??

I'd love to see some progress pictures of your plane Walter. If you click "Go Advanced" under the quick reply box, you can add pictures via the "Manage Attachments" button.

Thanks all,
    Dan

Hi Walter,
    I have to give you credit for attempting to build the Swift. I bought a bunch of Andy's plans and I agree they look like a real challenge. I also agree with Dan about all the different sizes of wood Andy used. I have built 2 scratch models from plans and it is not unusual on the hand drawn plans to find symmetry problems with them. The first was a Brown B2, it looked great but what a handful to fly. It has had several rough landings because it likes to tip stall and roll at landing. I think I have some straightness issues and I did not put any washout in the wing. The 40 size engine with no right or down thrust may have added to it as well, it was designed for a ball bearing 25. The second plane I built was a reduced AT-6 from an RCM plan I made into a NA-64 with a .25 in it. It looks good and flies well, no trim required flew right off the bench. So good luck with your Swift and I would like to see pictures as well.
    Dave

11. Andy Lennon Swift 
    Hi Dave. Thanks for the background and the qudos on building from an Andy Lennon plan. I guess I was being patriotic when I decided to buy an Andy Lennon plan: him being a Canadian and me being one too. I had an OS .46AX engine sitting around doing nothing so went looking for a project to build for my first scratch-built plane. As I had recently finished reading his book, I decided, what the hey, let's do it. I chose the Swift because of the variety of aerodynamic features in the model, plus it calls for an OS .46 engine.
    I'll post pictures when it's finsihed: Just don't expect them for a while!

Hi everyone,

It's nice to hear that folks are still building Andy Lennon's airplanes. I miss the phone conversations and correspondence I had with Andy over the years, and I know he really got such a kick out of people still building his "older" planes. Besides being an aerodynamic design guru, he was a wonderful and warm man.

Thank you for bringing back some nice memories. I hope you'll send photos of your finished model(s) to me at man@airage.com for our Pilot Projects section.

Best,
    Debra

13. Andy Lennon Swift 
    Hi Debra. Thanks for the message. It was a pleasant surprise to read your thread: Just goes to show what a small world we live in. Talking of small world, I am the editor of the Riverside Flyers "Servo Chatter" that you receive every three months.
    Photos will certainly be sent to you when this project is fininshed.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Walter.