Notices

Thread: Need advice.... Beginner...?

1. Need advice.... Beginner...? 
    Hi,

I am buying an RC plane soon. My problem is I'm only interested in larger planes with a wingspan of 55" or more and I've never touched the controls of a plane.
    I like the Hangar-9 P-51D Mustang Sport 40 ARF as well as the DeNight Special 50 ARF. I eventually want to get into 3D flying.

Does size matter when learning to fly?
    Would either of these planes work for a beginner with a fast learning curve?

I've had gas powered RC cars so mechanics aren't a problem as far as a gas plane.

Thanks for any help...

I'm not sure where to begin. These are not planes for the beginner. You are going to want something with a high wing and some dihedral in the wing. Flying a larger plane is actually a good thing to do, you can see them alot better and wind will not effect them as much. If you can spend time on a simulator that would be a really good thing to do. Spend some time reading in the beginner forum to get an idea on a good starter plane. I hope this helps you and please ask any questions that you still might have.

Quote Originally Posted by dnkehl View Post
    I'm not sure where to begin. These are not planes for the beginner. You are going to want something with a high wing and some dihedral in the wing. Flying a larger plane is actually a good thing to do, you can see them alot better and wind will not effect them as much. If you can spend time on a simulator that would be a really good thing to do. Spend some time reading in the beginner forum to get an idea on a good starter plane. I hope this helps you and please ask any questions that you still might have.
    I purchased a Sky Trainer 182 frome Nitroplanes yesterday along with a simulator program.
    I've been reading a bunch and realized I was running before I walked.
    I plan on building a large scale plane this winter and maybe by next year I will be able to fly it..

Good job with the research that you did. Be careful with the alerions, you might want to make them none movable and add some dihedral to the wing to start. But I should say that some people can start with alerions if they spend alot of time on the simulator. Start off on a windless day and take it slow. Have fun and happy flying.

Good job with the research that you did. Be careful with the alerions, you might want to make them none movable and add some dihedral to the wing to start. But I should say that some people can start with alerions if they spend alot of time on the simulator. Start off on a windless day and take it slow. Have fun and happy flying.
    This is what I was thinking as well... Do you just un hook the servo's?
    How do you add dihedral?

Thanks for your help!

Bear with me, I will get back to you tomorrow.

Bear with me, I will get back to you tomorrow.

All I've got is time!! Thanks

Yes, that is one way to do it. Let's look at it another way, how about a new wing. you can make a wing out of foam board insulation. I made a hot wire cutter and cut out my own wings. I have made them in three pieces and glued them together with Polyurethane adhesive (gorilla glue). You can do a search on hot wire cutter and you will get lots of ideas. An other option is to spend $15.00 on a spare wing, cut it in half and glue it back together with some dihedral in it. Let me know if I forgot something.

I think before I do any real flying, I'm going to fly my simulator a few weeks to get comfortable with the controls and orientation of the plane. Maybe I can get comfortable with Ailerons on there!?!
    Making a wing..... It sounds easy and probably is but I need to get my feet wet before I start re-designing things...

I appreciate the help!

What Transmitter do you use? You like it?

I have two different tx one is a JR and the other is a Hobby King. Yes I like them both.