Notices

Thread: Scratch building a MAN Staudacher 300GS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ok I'm back at it so here are some more pics.
    Attached Images

Setting up the aileron servo's!
    Attached Images

aileron servo setup!
    Attached Images

Aileron leads and caping off wing edge. After capping off the wing I capped off the aileron at the same time and just cut and trimmed it away from the wing.
    Attached Images

ok now this is what i've been working on the last few weeks.making a plug to form my own canopy on. I'll take you through some of steps and show you how I make my own vacuum formed canopies and parts. first up I made a false fusalage top off of the plans using the correct size formers and plank sheeted it. I then picked up some of that dense foam they use for insulation. The stuff is relitivly cheap for a sheet. I then cut and glued pieces and shaped and sanded to the propper canopy shape. I used templates of the shape as I sanded. I then covered it with the light spackle from Home Depot. Then i sanded it smooth. I covered the bottom with light ply and installed plywwood strigers to lift it off the table, so when I vacuum form it the plastic will contour the bottom edge.
    Attached Images

I then used a light fiberglass, and resined it on for a hard top surface.
    Attached Images

Then i sanded the resin down.I debated to put on another coat of resin,as not to enlarge the dementions of the canopy to much,so i coated it with filler primmer then sanded it. I'm on the third cycle of saqnding and re-spraying.
    Attached Images

I'm getting closer to Vacuum forming my canopy,but I put that to the side for now.I just got some GOODIES in the mail.The engine and props and spinner I'm using.
    Attached Images

Next I started on the servio layout for the rudder and elevators.I like to dedicate on servo per control surface so each half of the elevator gets a servo.Rudder will be pull-pull cable.
    Attached Images

i then set up the tail bottome with a piece of light ply for the tail wheel assembly, by installing 2 blind nuts in the wood.the piece will be added later after the control rods and cables are installed.
    Attached Images

Then I beefed up the Tail sufaces with extra 1/4x1/4 stock since I'm going to be Using the O.S. .75 AX. I then Positioned the tail feathers for glueing. i used 30 min Epoxy and clamped it in position to cure.
    Attached Images

once dry i glued the vertical stab on with the fuselage filler pieces.
    Attached Images

I then seperated the Elevator Halves as i'm using 2 servo's ,one on each elevator.Then i started hinging the control surfaces.I'm using Robart hinges.i then used light vinyl spackle to fill some areas.
    Attached Images

Hi Joe, I enjoyed reading all of the very useful information that you have supplied with your build. I was giving some serious thought on ordering the plans. For some reason this model has very little to no information on it. Is there enough room for a gasser in this model? Did you ever get it finished and out for any flight time yet? I would be curious as to how it handles. If you have any finished pictures that you could post would be great.

Thanks,
    Mike Roda