Notices

Thread: Scratch building a MAN Staudacher 300GS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Scratch building a MAN Staudacher 300GS 
    My next Project is underway.I'm Building a Staudacher 300GS from Model Airplane News plans. It was a joint venture between George Leu and Gerry Yarrish. I've allready cut the kit and started gluing.Here are some pics. I use See-temp to make a template of the parts and then trace or tack glue it to the wood. if your not familiar with see-temp its a see through plastic that you can trace out your part and cut nicly with a #11 blade.Its available from www.dbalsa.com .I use it to save me from cutting up my plans and i'll allways have a template to use or share.I use the 3M 45 to tack glue it to the wood.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by JoeMacD; 07-04-2010 at 03:07 PM.

Here are some more pics . I built the vertical and horizontal stab,rudder and elevators first. They were easy and got them out of the way! Next on to the fusalage. If you order these plans I suggest you download the construction article PDF thats available from MAN. Its a reprint of the construction article that apeared in the February 2007 MAN issue. I also printed out the construction article Gerry Yarrish did when building his cowl.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by JoeMacD; 07-04-2010 at 03:07 PM.

This is the start of the fusalage.I glued in the 1/4x1/4 sticks, the wing saddle doublers, and the elevator saddle doubler.This is all for now.Now to Enjoy the July 4th.
    Attached Images

Ok the 4th is over and its over 90*F here on Long Island and I was going to go flying but its so much cooler in my basement I think I'm going to stay in and build. So I started with preparing the building bench.I drew a straight line down the bench as my refrence line.I then measured and drew lines to position the formers and tack glued the formers to the bench.
    Attached Images

So now I'm making sure the F-1,F-2,F-3 are 90Deg to the bench I start gluing the fusalge side walls to the formers,slowly and evenly closing the gap at the tail.I then shave the tail ends to allow a 1/4 sheet stock to fill the gap between the 2 fusalge halves. Then I glue in the 1/4x1/4 cross pieces.
    Attached Images

I then installed the fusalge top formers inplace. F-4T is the cockpit back and need to sit at a 70*deg angle.Then I glued in the fusalge stringers.there was some discrepencises with the plans but having some experience will help overcome minor problems.I then started to sheet the Tail section with 3/32 balsa. I used hot water and amonia to wet only the out side of the wood to ease the bending stress and make the wood workable.
    Attached Images

Then I moved to the others side and sheeted the tail. I then sheeted the nose section the same way. I use the heat gun to speed up the drying time. the wood really bends good with the amonia and hot water and adding heat to it. Dont glue until the wood is dry! The Last pic is just a preview of what it looks like with the tail feathers on. Not bad for a days work! Oh speaking of work I've got to go to bed so i can go to work in this heat wave were getting. Till next time!
    Attached Images

Questions or comments greatly appreciated!

Been bogged with works so little progress was done.I managed to shape up the cockpit area with some 1/4" stock.I'll be looking to shape up the tail this weekend!
    Attached Images

looking good, can't wait to see it finished

Thank's and welcome to the thread!

Ok,weekends gone and here is what I had accomplished on the tail.Pic #1 & 2, I found the centerline of the Horizontal Stab.#3 & 4 i cut the front off to sit butt flush against F-6T.#5 & 6, they are tack glued into place.
    Attached Images

ok now for the tail blocks. You can if you want use light solid blocks but if you dont have solid blocks of balsa that size you can build it up. I had handy 1/2" and 1/4" sheet stock that was fairly light! The inner Block is 1/2'' thick and the rest is 1/4".at this point they are just laid in there unglued!
    Attached Images

ok now we glue the blocks together!I happen to use Elmers wood Glue.I spread it very thin with a plastic card and layer the wood and clamp till dry, which is very fast!I then used A 1/4 " piece to represent the vertical stab and scrap 1/4" for the horizontal stab. I tack glued these and then added the blocks only tack gluing them. then I carved and sanded and blended them to the fusalage shape.Then I removed the scrap pieces and laid the fins in place unglued. Till the next Post! Happy landings!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by JoeMacD; 07-12-2010 at 11:29 PM.

I got really lucky yesterday! I went down the street and spotted a nice piece of glass in some ones trash pile!(one man junk is another mans gold) I checked it out and it was a 7/32'' thick tempered safty glass 30''x55''.It came from a shower door. I stuck it in my van and brought it home and cleaned it up took off all the door handles and wheels for the tracks. Just in time for me to build the wing! Its sitting perfectly flat and level on my solid wood core door from Home Depot. I'm very happy right now. I've been pricing glass and a piece this size is quite pricy around here.
    Attached Images

I was looking for the Landing gear as the plans say they are from the Lanier stinger 60. Well Lanier is no longer around sad to say.A good friend of mine and club member told me to try TnT Landing gear Products. well I went to thier web sight and they have many different landing gear available.They also have a custom sheet to fill out if you would like a custom gear made up.I did just that. i took the measurements from the plans and filled out the sheet. Then I faxed it to them. I then called them to confirm that thay had recieved it. They told me about a weeks time. Well after a week of I recieved a package in the mail.It was the Landing gear, and exactly to the plans specifications. If you are building the MAN Staudacher they now have it in there data base. Just mention my name(Joe MacDougall) so they can look in there records,they alsohave a stock # XX-136. There web address is www.tntlandinggear.com .The Phone #419-868-5408.they have alot of landing gear allready to ship for existing models.Give them a call,419-868-5408 they also have other r/c items of intrest. Here are a few pics of my gear.
    Attached Images

Ok works been busy so I've been trying to get some basla glued. i managed to start framing up the wing. *Note The Wing is Flat on top and the diahedral is on the bottom of the wing.So the wing is built upside down! 1- I laid the Plans under the glass.2-I Glued down the top main spar(at every spot I tack glued it down I marked it with a blue sharpee. 3-I laid my straight edge to it to make sure it is straight. 4-I went over every rib to make sure the notches for all the 1/4x1/4 spars Had a snug fit but not to tight. 5- Then lay the bottom spar in,make sure the ribs are 90 deg to the table. 6- then used a stick full length to make sure the ribs trailing edge was all straight and even.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by JoeMacD; 07-30-2010 at 08:49 PM.

ok here are some more pics. 1- the aileron leading edge spar is then glued in. 2- all the othere 1/4 spars are in and tach glued.
    Attached Images

That glass was a great find, this must come from what goes around comes around. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I have the other wing framed up.More pics coming soon. I've been busy with work and having little time these past few weeks.

I would like to get ahold of who ever came up with the whole work thing, it gets in the way of what we really want to do.

ok heres a few more pics! I premade and sanded the wing sheeting!
    Attached Images

This looks great!
    I have ordered these plans, so there will probably be some questions in the future.

Keep on the good work!

/M

Thats the beauty of the forums, just ask away! Well I have made some progress on the wings.1-bottom wing sheeting going on.2-Trim bottom wing sheeting to the ends of the ribs.3-Trimmed sheeting will be good for rib capping save!4-other wing being trimmed.5-save for capping.6- Balsa fill in the aileron area where control horn will be.
    Attached Images

More wing! All area's to consider befor sheeting covers them up.1-install aileron cap rib, install 1/16 balsa between ribs to space for cutting aleron out later..2-wing bolt down balsa fill!3-cut block to fit.4- before gluing block make sure its a snug fit.5-block cut on a band saw 6-after gluing block in sand fluch with rib surface.
    Attached Images