Notices

Thread: Drake plans wanted please

1. Drake plans wanted please 
    If anyone has a set of plans for Ken Willard's DRAKE seaplane I would like to purchase a set. The plans are from RCM and were offered sometime in the late seventies or early eighties

This neat little .15 powered seaplane was featured in Ken's collumn "Sunday Flyer" in RCM magazine. If you have a set you would like to sell, please contact me here.

Thanks
    Tandy

What year and edition were the plans in?

Alas I don't remember. Maturity stinks sometimes.
    I was going through a box of plans and templates that I packed up back in the early eighties. I came across templates for fuselage sides and a set of balsa sides and the plywood engine pylon core all cut but have no plan for wing, bulkheads and tail feathers.
    Just thought I'd throw the question out hoping someone had a set of plans.

Sorry ,Charlie, not much to go on.
    I apreciate the response though.

Terry

I have about three years of old RCM magazines. Will look thru the pile for you.

I looked at this site that sells the old RCM plans but do not see the Drake

http://www.rcmplans.com/

Got something. Send me a PM with your Email.

My email: lowandslow202@metrocast.net

Watcha got?

Terry

My mistake,Charlie. I thought the Drake was published in RCM. Obviously it was in Model Aviation.

I always looked forward to Ken's "Sunday Flyer" collumn each month. He was a goldmine of innovative and off the wall ideas. If you've not read these collumns, check out your back issues of RCM.

Terry

10. Plans 
    I found a set of plans that I am emailing you. Here they are as a JPEG

It looks like more than a few modelers on line have turned this into an electric. It would be perfect for an EFlite 480 with a 2200 ma pac
    Attached Images

Fine job, Charlie. Thank you. I can't open it from my email as I am low on virtual memory. Well, That's what the computer tells me. When My son gets back in town I will see what we can do about it. I am working on a review of a low wing sport plane to submit for publication. I intend to put it on a CD and send it in to MAN. We'll see what happens.
    Thanks again for finding the plans. I hope I can get them blown up to build on.

Terry

I am sending them to my work address as we speak to see if I can plot them full sized at work. If I can I will send you a hard copy.

How is the old Westwind doing. I hope it is still out there as it is a pretty model

Still think you should redo it as an electric with less dihedral and ailerons.

13. Smile  
    I deleted a bunch of unnecessary junk from my favorites and desktop an ,voila, my virtual memory came back.Downloaded the plans but the file that opens them has no print option shown.
    Wait another week for my son to get home and bail me out again.

It certainly is a pretty little airplane, isn't it?

14. Westwind 
    The Westwind hangs in a place of honor.
    I take it out every once in a while on a dead calm evening and put a couple flights on it.

I wish I had been able to use today's equipment on my original back in the day. It might have lasted longer.

My second R/C plane was a DeBolt 'Live Wire Rebel", a high wing cabin job with a Controlaire "I-Pak" receiver and Controlaire trnsmitter. It used a Babcock compound escspement witch gave me right rudder, left rudder, and kick -up elevater. All on a single channel. 48" span with a Mc Coy .09 engine. Plane was covered with white silk, clear doped with some orange trim. Had alot of fun with that airplane. Pretty on a sunny day, straight overhead with the sun shining through the clear doped wings.

This hobby has given me some really nice memories.

15. Unhappy Drake II Plans 
    Charlie;

My computer opens the plans but the window gives no print option.

Were you able to print them?

I will be able to print them when I get home. I am working in Ft Huachuca next week

Bring a truck load of sunscreen and gallons of water.

wow, that looks like the seaplane in one of the bond movies... um dr no maybe?

that's an interesting build i think
    I may try it out sometime out of depron....

Go to www.unclewilliesplans.com, page 5 (old site).