Notices

Thread: Builders Guide Model Y Gee Bee (Electric)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Now that would be a set back that would be hard to over come.

The original prototype is covered with Ultracoat. Heavy as all get out as far as coverings go but it looks good so I live with the weight.

yea, we never worked on either of them after that, been busy, dad's been building a 1/4 scale 1930's (I think) indy car engine from scratch, that'll run

3. Plans are looking good 
    From a "fresh start" and approach to this design and plans, the cutting, measurements and the quality are great. No Worries - a quality design and easy assembly.

Will make a very fine addition to the workshop and flying field.

4. Planking 
    Moms home from her trip for two weeks so maybe I will get a little time in the shop.

Tonight I started planking the fuselage just above the wing.

As I said the prototype was done piece-meal due to it being a mid build design change. This time I am trying to plank in large pieces. I still did not carry the planking all the way back and will need to fill in on the bottom.

On thing I did was to add a small piece of wood to the face of F-5 and F-5 to try and cause the planking to take on a little more curve on the fuselage sides. It was a little too flat on the prototype. If it works out I will add the change to the short kit.
    Attached Images

5. Planking 
    Manged to fit one piece to night and fit to the wing.

I am trying to get a good fit here as there will be a 1/64 sheet of plywood that goes between the fuselage and the wing. This plywood will be th bottom of the filet
    Attached Images

now, you are soaking this balsa in water so it bends like that right? or atleast getting it wet so it flexes

I wetted it down on the outside only with a little cold water so that it will take the curve.

8. Still Planking 
    Needless to say I am fighting burn out. I have now built 5 Gee Bees in a row and the redoing of this one is tough

I managed to add a couple of sheets of planking today between three basketball games my son played in.
    Attached Images

are you burnt out on Gee Bee's?

on a side note you could probably nearly build one in your sleep

10. Dummy Radial Engine 
    I had to drag out a Williams Brothers engine to take a photo of the Jugs for Bob. He did not like the looks of the vacuformed one and is planning on building his own radial from wooden rings.

The engine has been up on a shelf for years and after taking it out of the box I kept looking at the kit thinking how expensive it was and how it was over kill and heavy. Finally decided I would never build it as a display model so I may as well use it. Whats another pound or two.

The original ring for the cowl support was made to fit the Dare vacuformed engine and will need to be trimed up for the Williams Brothers engine.

I built up the engine as the front half only. This required me to sand the cylinder mount rings down to half as the engine will glue to the front of the ring support ..
    Attached Images

11. Alternative 
    The original Dare engine Worked fine and was lighter
    Attached Images

12. Motivational Shots 
    I just recieved these from Bob who is also doing a build on the second of the production versions. He is running ahead of me , -and not doing every thing the way I am. This is what modeling is all about.

One place he made a change was to build up the cowl ring hollow to keep from using as much wood. We have also talked about a plywood ring covered with layers of blue foam and glass. His radial will be built up wood at this point.

He has also built his gear up from 3/32 vice the 1/8th inch wire I used. Saved on weight.

These photos make me realize I need to light the burners and catch up.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by PipesCS; 02-15-2009 at 09:53 AM.

13. Going Again 
    Managed to get both wheel pants built up and started the rough sanding. Looking pretty good.

Bob has gone with 3/32 dia wire for the main gear which is lighter. I am not so sure about the strength (Especially with my Landings)

Finished planking the nose area and mounted the engine to see if I really like the heavy Williams Brothers Engine enough to accept the weight gain.
    Attached Images

14. How goes the progress? 
    Still watching, and cutting out two "kits" of my own.... Transferred all to my CNC machine and I'm making sawdust...

Any Progress?

I have not worked on the new model since Feb. It is hanging on the wall. I did manage to get the shop cleaned up and ready to work again. My work is in the way right now. Hows yours coming?

17. Question Price of the short kit 
    John quoted me $89.95 last week for the Gee Bee Sport short kit. Would this be the same kit that you paid $115 a few months ago or is the a different version. As I write this I realize that it would just be easier to just give John a call. That said I want to thank you for modeling one of my all time favorites.

Has anyone mention building this as a gas powered plane...how can you fly a "silent" Gee Bee?!!

During you initial flights the plane nosed over...I will fly off of an asphalt runway but was wondering if fudging the gear a little forward would make it less likely to nose over?

Thanks again, Gary

It only noses over in high grass.

What ever you do--- do not move the axles forward. I had it that way on the Model D and the plane was a nightmare to keep straight. More than one of the local hot pilots tried to take it off and could not keep it straight

Some one asked me for plans and I have lost the address. Can you resend the message with your address?

19. My address 
    I sent a private message to you with my address...the message title is "my address"...pretty clever eh? Gary

Just Checking in - Still active and making a new Model Y - Pics this afternoon - This time it's a two cockpit version.