Notices

Thread: Getting started with Giant scale

1. Getting started with Giant scale 
    Hi,

Would be grateful for some advice please regarding giant scale. I have built small control line planes many years ago as a youngster and am now considering RC. I am only interested in giant scale though and recognise that this is NOT the place to start.

I am very comfortable with all aspects of building and programming the more complex model and I have a private pilots licence so I understand why and how planes stay in the air - I have even done the aerobatics course.

I have recently got myself a copy of RealFlight G4 and I have become comfortable flying, for example, the Yak 54 in both of the dual rate modes and with crosswind and turbulance set.

Here's where I need some strong advice! All of these factors are leading me to the conclusion that it would be ok to make the Aeroworks 42% Yak 54 my first project provided I set the control throws to low and maybe put in a gyro.

So, three questions: 1 - just how realistic is G4? Does it flatter the pilot or can I really expect to fly safely in the real world, given due deference to the weather? 2 - Am I deluding myself? It's very easy to rationalise away all the good advice about starting with a small basic trainer just because I think I'm better than I actually am. 3 - Is it reasonable to think in terms of starting with a large plane and, if so, could the Yak be a good starting point or is there another large scale and more realistic option?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer and, as a first timer to any forum, may I congratulate you on yours. Its the liveliest and most informative I have found.

Thanks

Bob
    Last edited by Bob White; 04-03-2008 at 07:11 AM.

Hi Bob, I recently last year got back into the R/C aircraft Hobby being absent for close to 10 years from flying. The first thing I did before going to my old flying field as I held on to the trainer that I built for my son's was to invest in the G 3.5 simulator.I too have some real plane hours and it is different flying R/C. The New G4 real flight is a much better improved system. I highly recomend it as you can make it as hard or as easy as you are willing to make it. You have full control over wind,weather,sun position,veiw of aircraft.All of the aircraft are like it says real, you can actually feel the aircraft if they are light or heavy on the stick. there is alot of data and parameters that you can use or change, some times being overwhelming.Its also fun to just go into like a flying chat room and meet new flyers as your flying your planes together on the internet.
    well I rambled on too much. Bob its well worth the money to get started.Enjoy Bob!

sincerly
    Joe

3. Getting started with Giant scale 
    Hi Joe,

Many thanks for your insights - its nice to know that G4 gives me a fair representation of what I can expect with the real thing. All I now need to do is figure out my first project!

Thanks again

Bob

You might have a better idea if you fly the G4 first they have many Giant scale Aircraft to fly in the program in which to base your decision!
    Ive flown the Twin B-25, The Large scale P-51,The stinsen, and some Large scale areobatic planes. I'm sure you will be more decisive if you fly them first!

Am comfortable flying the G4 Yak 54 which is why I wondered whether this might be a good starting place. On reflection though, I suspect something a little less 'capable' might be more prudent. Thanks again for the thought and I'll give those you suggest a try!

Hi Bob,
    I've read your posts and want to suggest that you first start your RC flying with something a little less exspensive and something that's a little more foregiving. Flying the G4 simulator is all well and good but it's really no substitute for the real thing. Flying outdoors is a whole new ball game and your perspective is totally different than flying the simulator. For very little investment you could start your flying with something easier to handle and you could still be building your 42% plane in the mean time. If you don't already have a radio your going to have to invest in one. If your going to fly giant scale planes then your going to need a radio that is top quality with at least 7 to 9 channels with 10 + model memory. The radio is a one time investment and you can use it to fly all your planes. I fly the JR 9303 2.4Ghz radio and it has a 30 model memory. While your assembling/building your 42%Yak 54 you should pick up one of Multiplex's Easy Star to get you in the air and working your thumbs. Building your muscel memory is very important and flying a plane that's nearly indestructable is a pretty good place to start. I am also a private pilot and I used to own a 1963 Piper Colt. What a ball it was flying that plane after work everyday. But lets get back to RC flying. It's a whole new ball game flying RC, and the only way to get good at it, is to do it. It's not an insult to warm up with a plane that's easy to fly like the Easy Star. And it's one that can take some punishment without getting destroyed when your landings are less than perfect. Well you can take my advice or you can ignor it, it's up to you. But if you want to have some fun without worrying yourself to death, start off with a plane that will come home with you everyday, even if you had a bad day. Landings are where most accidents happen and it's a good idea to practice your landings with a plane that's resiliant. Best of luck Bob, I hope all your landings are with the rubber side down. It's a great hobby Bob, and you'll meet a lot of good people.
    Best regards,,,,Phil

For Bob White,
    It's been quite a while since your last post and I was just wondering if you ever started your 42% giant scale build. If you have started the build could you post some pictures of it? Also, could you tell us which 100cc engine you chose to power it and what did you use for the guidence system?
    Thanks