Notices

Thread: Scratchin a Great Planes Super Kaos .60!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wing tip blocks pre cut to airfoil shape the temporarily attached for shaping and sanded the removed carfully the hollowed out as much as possible for weight savings. Then re -attached to wing.I am making the wing tips over sized ,brining the wingspan to a total of 59 inches.
    Attached Images

I know things are moving a bit slowly but i'm movin my butt! :LOL:but Now ive installed the ailerons and servo's in the wings.I',m using Futaba S3004 servos here.Take note of the pencil marks on the cover.The servo scenter line is parallel with the trailing edge of the wing so the control push rod is at 90 deg to the trailing edge.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by JoeMacD; 03-02-2008 at 02:25 PM.

now the wing can be put aside and back to the fusalage.
    Attached Images

couple more closing of rear bottom of fusalage
    Attached Images

lookin' good! Take your time and get it right. A straight model will be easier to trim and will fly right! You're doing a great job.
    GY
    Favorite Quote: Passions once set in motion, move themselves... Unknown author.

Your getting there. Lookin good. Keep the progress reports coming.

Dale

ok got some more pics.Shown is the engine mounting!
    Attached Images

next is the wing mounting and setting the incidence at 1deg pos. to opose the 2 degree's on the engine mount. these measurements are to the original plans.The nose has also been filled in and shaped with balsa block.
    Attached Images

shown here is the shimming trying to get the right incidence.horizontal stab at 0 deg. fusalage at 0 deg. wing at +1 deg. with engine nose down at -2 deg.
    Attached Images

Once I got it right it was time for wing Fairings with Micro balloons and resin. I first put down some monocote as a parting agent.wide enough to get a nice wide fairing.I also want to try to extend it past the leading edge of the wing like a P-40 so i glued a piece of balsa that i will work in on the bellypan.
    Attached Images

Now time for the micro ballons and resin, mixing to manufacturers spec ,adding enough balloons to where its kinda putty like and not runny!I made sure to get plenty under the fusalage to make a nice wing saddle.Then with a mighty blow seperate the wing from the fusalage and Walla! the perfect fitting wing saddle.then comes time to sand .
    Attached Images

and sand!I use like roof shingle grit 50-80 and some times wrapping it around a propotionally round dowel.
    Attached Images

With major sanding and wing blending done its time to sit back and think about the color scheme and final finishing. I ordered the rest of the servo's and reciever and covering ,also tires today.
    Attached Images

14. Love your Kaos 
    I had one back in the early eighties & I loved it. I built it super light with an O.S. .61 FSR & it was a hoot to fly. I tried to find my original plans but I couldn't. I would love to scratch build another one like you have. I must have had a zillion flights on it. I ended up giving it to my neighbor & he sold it along with all his other RC stuff.
    Good looking model you've built. I'm jealous of your plans. 8^)

Hi JoeMacD,
    I want to say that your build is looking great. I too have the plans to the super Kaos 60, except mine say R/C Modeler Magazine. I too want to build this plane from scratch. Looking over your pics and my plans, I have several questions for you. First, when you cut the ribs out, you have extensions (tabs) on each end. How did you do figure this out? On my plans, there are no tabs (except they do have marks for holes for a wing jig). What purpose do these tabs serve? Do I need them to build my wing? Also, I noticed on my plans for the wing, there are blocks (No. 1,2,3) with differing thicknesses. What do these blocks do? Are they to set the washout for the wing? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Happy Flying!
    Last edited by ser00; 09-07-2008 at 09:44 PM.

Hi JoeMacD,

I have another question for you. I know that you are using a different airfoil than the one in the plans. Can you tell me how many degrees of washout are needed with the original airfoil for the wing tips. If you do not know, what do you suggest - 1, 1.5 or 2 degrees? Thanks a million!

Happy Flying!

Hello Ser00, sorry its been a while since my last post i got involved with auto racing at a locaL OVAL TRACK. Thats were my summer was spent! going to get back to the kaos shortly.Well to answer your question, my friend had drawn the new airfoil with a computer program he as. I then drew the building tabs onto the airfoil section to allow me to build the wing in a mannor i'm most comfortable.The blocks in your plans will give you the propper washout needed to do the job.the Kaos should handle great with washout ranging from .5-2 degrees of washout.If your using the original airfoil stick to the specified block sizes. Everyone I know flying the original airfoil just loves it. i let them fly mine and they cant believe how much faster it is and it lands like a dream.hope i helped youe out there Ser00

Now getting back to the Kaos.Ive been going over filling in any dents or gaps or holes that might be seen through covering!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by JoeMacD; 10-15-2008 at 07:05 AM.

A few more. I dont know if I mentioned it before but the clear canopy offered by tower for there .40 sized UpRoar is almost the same if not bigger than the one I carved out for my first Kaos. About time to start covering.
    Attached Images

Ok covering has begun! Woo hoo !
    Attached Images

All covering will be done with Monokote!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by JoeMacD; 10-18-2008 at 10:50 PM.

Some more wing pics!
    Attached Images

Now that the wing is done being covered time for the fusalage.
    Attached Images

24. CAD kaos 
    I have been following your build with interest, its great. I have found the cad kaos plans so no I can build one! Can you say something about the airfoil shape you are using, is it fully symetric and just thinner? can I download it from somewhere? profilli perhaps?
    Thanks

25. CAD kaos 
    I found the section on profili. It is symetric and does look thinner than the original.