Notices

Thread: Scratchin a Great Planes Super Kaos .60!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hello Affair, Yes its fully symetrical Its the NACA 0014 airfoil. A friend who has a RC designer program for making all different airfoils was kind enough to Plot and photo copy all the ribs in the wing.Theres 10 ribs per wing.The plane fly great.Hope this new one handles even better. here are some more pics . Allmost there!
    Attached Images

Ok things are moving slowly now just as the economy!I ordered a tuned pipe and header for my O.S. .61 that will be powering this bird. and the tower .61 will be going back in the red white and blue plane. I just recently tinted the canopy with RIT fabric dye. I left it in a long time and got the results I was looking for. I then took black Monocote trim and cut out a black tracing of the canopy shape for the bottom, then glued the canopy on ,masked and flared the edge with Hobbico tan filler.Then sanded very lightly.Then applied yellow Monocote to finish it off.!
    Attached Images

found out the hard way that i misjudged the engine mounting holes with the spinner, so i had to move them back. i epoxied dowels in the holes and redrilled.I got the tuned pipe and the header and spinner in the mail and set it up tmporarilly to see how it looks. Awsome!header is long but must be cut to around 3 inches for this engine according to Macspro!
    Attached Images

Getting closser to finishing! i cut the header down leaving enough to play around with tuning.Then all i have is the control hook ups for Elevator,rudder, thottle and nose gear.Woo Hoo! maiden flight just around the corner.on the bench she looks fast. oh thats a pattern Prop 11X9 apc.
    Attached Images

5. your kaos 
    Have you flown it yet?

No I have not Flown it yet as i'm waiting for some spare time and some good weather to propperly tune the engine to the tuned pipe. Then i will bring it to the flying field and properly perform a maiden flight.Oh and also I'm waiting for a 6 volt 2000 ma battery pack, to set the proper CG with the tuned pipe and all.Hope fully i'll get some maiden flight pics and post them.

7. Kaos CG 
    I got the CAD Kaos plans off the internet. These are supposed to be a copy of the original design (one of the thread posts mentioned them) When I draw in the naca 14 airfoil (Actually I am using selig 8035 which is almost identical) I see that the point of maximum thickness is forward of the original airfoil. This suggests that the CG location might need to move to compensate for the difference, What CG position did you fly the naca 14 model at?
    Thanks

When Balancing my first Super Kaos I started at where the plans Indicated at about 4 1/2 INCHES from the leading edge at the wing root.Then after flying and By moving the battery pack toward the tail Gave me the the groovy feeling I have now. At 4 1/2 inches it was a bit nose heavy.

Well yesterday was the day I fianlly got to the field for the first time this year and I Got to give my new Kaos a Maiden Flight and man is she fast And flies Great! Here are some shots from the field. I had to tune the pipe before going up then I was a little lean and it went dead stick on me .After richening it up on the high end I trimmed it out . Using the CG at 4 1/2 proved it was a bit nose heavy so i'll be rebalancing it. The third flight was all fun. I got to do many touch and go's one after another. She Stalls very preditable stright forward with no tip stalls.Like my first on this one is gonna be alot of fun.
    Attached Images

This is a great thread and I have found it very useful as I have just started to build a new one from RCM plans. I built my first Super Kaos back in the 1970's and had great fun with it. The plans don't give any indication for the control throws. Could you give me some idea what settings you used to start with.
    Alan
    Last edited by Impi; 10-29-2010 at 08:28 AM.

Hello Alan,
    I'm Glad you are finding this thread useful and enjoyable.I Have been busy and ill as i'm just finding your post, sorry i didnt catch it sooner. I will try to get you the information you seek some time this week. Please bare with me!

Joe

Ok I have the control throws that I fly with. You can adjust for your style of flying from there!
    Aileron low rate-----3/8" up&Down
    High rate----1/2" up&down
    Elevator low rate----5/8" up&down
    High rate----3/4" up&down
    Rudder low rate-----2" right & left
    High rate----2 1/2" right & left

hope that helps.

Thanks Joe that's a great help.

14. where did you get Kaos plans 
    I build from drawings...where do i get plans for Kaos 60?

Great work Joe!

I have a question that goes back to the beginning. What type of saw are you using to cut out all the parts? I noticed on the fuselage side you have some nice looking dovetails joining them together. Did you use a scroll saw for that?

Hello Albeeflyer and JohnR ,
    sorry its been a while since ive posted in the forums as life has its ups and downs. So I'm now trying to get back in the R/C mode. As far as the plans are concerned those are from the original Great Planes kit of the Super kaos and are no longer available to my knowledge.I did hear or saw a posting of some one who was able to download them off of some sight on the internet.
    JohnR, yes i did do a dove tail but I drew a pattern on paper and traced it on to the 2 pieces of wood and then hand cut and fit them with an exacto knife #11 blade. I needed to make the fusalge sides long enough. The joint on the inside is re-enforced with another piece of wood.
    Thank you for your intrest in my thread!

Joe, I have just discovered your Kaos build document and I want to thank you for producing such a first class scratch builders delight ! Your photos are are very comprehensive and well staged and your build comentary is excellent and I can hardly wait to start building this grand old model ! With your fine example I will try to document my building process with photos; please, keep up the good work; this build article should be published for the entire modeling community to enjoy.
    My very best to you,
    Beckleybud

Joe did you have files for the part drawings , specifically the wing ribs that you could post?

19. rib patterns for kaos 60 you are building 
    hi
    flew kaos many, many years ago and have urge to build another one. do you have plans showing all formere and wing ribs I could buy a copy or do you know of a source of plans showing above. many thanks in advance RCflyer1

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMacD View Post
    Well i dont know what happend to my original Thread but It gives me a chance to start all over again. This is the Great Planes Super Kaos which is no longer in production at this time. I recieved these plans ten years ago at a club meeting and decided to start this project.Since then I have built and flown the one pictured, and it flies Great. Now I am building a new one for a fellow flyer and will document the build. I am not using the original air foil,but I have modified it with the help of friends to a NACA 0014 air foil.It truly makes a world of difference.The plane is fast and stable and lands like on auto pilot.Hope you enjoy the pics as I enjoy the building.Please if you have any question's don't hesitate to ask.

hi pferg
    no currentlly trying to find plans showing all patterns of formers, rib patterns, etc. have nothing at present, in the search and find mode thanks RCfllyer1