Notices

Thread: Scratchin a Great Planes Super Kaos .60!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Scratchin a Great Planes Super Kaos .60!!!! 
    Well i dont know what happend to my original Thread but It gives me a chance to start all over again. This is the Great Planes Super Kaos which is no longer in production at this time. I recieved these plans ten years ago at a club meeting and decided to start this project.Since then I have built and flown the one pictured, and it flies Great. Now I am building a new one for a fellow flyer and will document the build. I am not using the original air foil,but I have modified it with the help of friends to a NACA 0014 air foil.It truly makes a world of difference.The plane is fast and stable and lands like on auto pilot.Hope you enjoy the pics as I enjoy the building.Please if you have any question's don't hesitate to ask.
    Attached Images

The building starts! Here are some of the sub sparts cut out to make the fusealage.since the sheets of 3/16 balsa was not long enough i had to join them to the needed lenght,i used a dove tail joint and reenforced with 1/32 ply skin on inside of former.And then the tail sufaces were made.
    Attached Images

Then the motor mounts were cut.Due to the fact that the nose wheel and the steering mechanism is inaccessable after completion, It is now time to mount the nose wheel steering hardware.
    Attached Images

Its now time to set up the fusalage.Formers are in place along with engine mounting beams and the firewall with nose gear.
    Attached Images

The tail surface is aligned and fuse top assembled on to fuselage.
    Attached Images

A look at the engine and fuel tank compartment.Remember to pic your balsa to the area where it will be.Meaning,try to use light balsa toward the tail of the aircraft and keep the heavy stuff up front but keeping in mind structual integrity.also Here is some shots of the wing ribs getting cut out and ready for that segment.
    Attached Images

7. Question  
    Joe looking good.Are you still building it or did you finish it?

Nice work, I had converted the original Joe Bridi Kaos to CAD and built it as the CAD Kaos many years ago. the plans still float arouund on the web. I built two of these 60 size planes and think it is one of the best planes ever. You'rs should fly just as well. I used an Adjust-O-Jig to build my wings.
    GY
    Favorite Quote: Passions once set in motion, move themselves... Unknown author.

Yes Bullet Bob I'm still Building it ! its been a while since my last post as life has its piorities,My inlaws have been sick and need the families attention.But yes its still on the building bench and will be finished before another project gets started.

And yes gerry I truly believe that this is one of the best designed planes ever, it really delivers outstanding flying characteristics.

Now getting back onto the work bench I started to frame up the wings and i'll try to explain the pics in order!
    #1)The plans show only the right wing. I will build both wing halves up side down due to the fact that when the wings are joined they are joined totally flat on the top surface to one another, this produces the dihedral on only the bottom surface of the wing!In the pic is ribs 1 and 2 of the right wing on the top spar!
    #2) also showing ribs 1 and 2 but notice i laid them down in the #10 and 9 position.
    #3) all 10 ribs now installed on top spar.
    #4)now the bottom spar is installed.
    #5)both wings now glued to spar! left wing was aslo built upside down with the the #1 rib in the #1 position but up side down.
    #6) shows the ribs being eyeballed checking the alignment of all the ribs,looking nice and straight!.
    Attached Images

Pics 1 &2 )show me checking the end of the ribs for trueness! one or more ribs may need sanding to make sure the ends sit true on the trailing edge when glued ,also you can add shims if the rib may be too short.All ribs must touch the straight edge with out and gaps.
    #3)The trailing edge startes as a 3/4X 1/4X30 stock.Then I draw a center line straight down the center ,then marke from the plans the spaces for the ribs.
    #4)The ends of the ribs are glued one by one centering the center line on the rib to the center of the trailing edge.
    #5)shows the ribs still nice and true with no ribs out of alignment.
    Attached Images

#1 )shows the same technique as the trailing edge done to the front leading edge of the ribs.but for this i first use a 1in wide by 30in long by 3/32 piece of stock with a center line down the middle.its easy to get your initial alignment of the ribs for later when you glue your real leading edge on.
    #2) also checking alignment of ribs for trueness.
    #3) so far so good framed up right and left wing halves laying next to one another.(Caution!!!! try not to make 2 right or 2 left wings!) Till next time Adios Amigos!
    Attached Images

Now I shave down and shape the Trailing edge and the what I call the False leading edge in preparation for top sheeting.I shave down and sand to the airfoil shape of the ribs.I use a straight edge across Laying it across the ribs and use it as a guide for trimming,then I sands to shape.Then I install balsa blocks to support the aileron hinge.I like using dubro or robart pinned hinges(my prefrence).Then I install the pre cut rib doublers for the landing gear blocks.
    Attached Images

Then I cut the holes for the aileron servo lead tubes. I like using the cardboard tubes or rolling up some paper stock. I made a Hole cutting tool from large size brass tubing.I sharpened the edges and cutt some slots in it with my razor saw. Then by hand rotate the tubing and slowly apply pressure to the rib and cut my hole to almost exact dimension of the tubing.I make the hole all the way to the #6 rib as this is the location of my servo. Patience is needed as you cut through the plywood doublers.I had picked up some cardboard tubing at the WRAM show one year and have been using it. Its from "The Aeroplane Works",as you can see in the pic.(note) you must leave room for the Shear webbing on the wing spars when you cut the holes for the tube.

Here are the pics.
    Attached Images

The Kaos is one of the all time greats.
    Bob Machado, a peresonal friend of mine, of Ramco Models started his business in the late 1960s making ARF Kaos .60s out of all foam. Outstanding airplanes.
    He then went on to design the First Step, Second Step trainers and the
    Two Step biplane which he marketed under the Ramco brand which was later purchased by Great Planes.

I owned and flew one of his Kaos.60 models and it was a great flyer.

Tandy

17. Thumbs up  
    Hi Joe,
    Congratulations on an excellent build thread how far do you have to go to finish the plane.The plane in your first post is absolutely fantastic is it a kit build as well.
    I am following this build as I am going to introduce it to a couple of the senior guys in my club as a good example of what they could be building and be able to fly without buying ARF's which fall to pieces on a hard landing and which has a proven good track record in the flying dept.
    With your permission I would like to collate all your photo's onto an SVCD for presentation at club meetings to show them your working methods, which will also help new guy's see how a build goes and what they should expect to see beneath the sticky back plastic covering on their ARF'S when they bend them.
    Yours Jim McGlynn.
    www.modelclub.org

Hello Jim very Pleased to meet you! Thank you for your Praise.The Kaos pics in my first post is the plane I am currently flying and was also scratch built just as you see in my pics on my new build. It fly's as good as it looks on rails and has unlimited vertical and can crawl in for a landing it is that gentle! I dont mind at all if you want to use my pics for club education, as i like to stress also the skills of building versus ARF.I'm not totally Knocking ARF's as they Have come a long way and are of high quality today! I personally think it is personally benificial for Pilots to build a few planes from scratch or from a kit and fly what they build.
    I have more pics to post but I need some time to do it ! Will post soon !

JoeMacD

Thanks Joe I will wait for all your pictures to be posted and then I will put them all on one disc as a slide show,I will let you know how it goes.
    Jim.

Here are some more wing pics and installing landing gear blocks.I cut and sanded a groove in a hard wood block using a long drill bit of the propper size and using some handy carving tools.sizing the groove to the 5/32 music wire from K&S.Then i bent the wire in a vise to the shape of the plans.
    Attached Images

Due to pic limitation i have to double post!now once the landing gear is set its time to add wing sheeting.
    Attached Images

moving along
    Attached Images

Leading edge installation and finishing the sheeting and cap strips.Also setting up wing for Wash out. Washout should be built in before final sheeting as this locks it in place.
    Attached Images

more shots, also sheer webing installed then trailing edge block is removed to show the washout sintalled in wing.
    Attached Images

the wing is the set up and joined then center cection fiberglassed with heavy glass and epoxy.the blocks supporting the tips are 3/4 '' HIGH.
    Attached Images