Notices

Thread: Radio for someone disabled

1. Radio for someone disabled 
    I put this in the car section thought I might get some help here too...

I was into RC a long time ago (had a RC10GT 6 months after it came out...about '93) but I became disabled when I was 18 (broke my neck...quadriplegic) The other day I saw some RC videos on YouTube and remembered the fun of these little plastic and aluminum bullets. I was sitting there wishing that I could use a 2ch radio since they are only pistol grip or 2 stick and I only really have functional use of one arm. Later that night I was playing one of my racing games on my comp and it hit me… I’m using a joystick to play the game, I use a joystick to move my elec. Wheelchair, and the van I’m getting and driving uses drive-by-wire technology and huge servos w/a joystick! (SCARY! I know…almost real RC. Check it out EMC ) all of which is essentially a single stick on a 4+ch radio system.

I went and did some homework and the 4ch radios a few I found were AM, 27 or 72MHz. Most that 75Mhz were slightly programmable but not like the new 3ch’s or 2.4GHz (which as I said I’ve been out of the hobby awhile and have no real clue of the pros/cons of the new technologies).

So here are my questions…

1. Is there a company that has a good programmable 4ch system.
    2. If not should I go Air/Heli 6ch to get the goodies (throttle curves…etc) and if so are any applicable to racing? Like the ABS and such on the new 3ch’s car systems.

…FYI I’ll probably be racing nitro 1/10 or 1/8
    So far looking at 75mhz or 2.4ghz systems of…
    ..Futaba..
    4EXA
    6EXA
    --Airtronics..
    VG400
    VG6000
    RD6000 Super
    --Hitec..
    Lazer4
    Lazer6

man i really wish i could help you out .
    but if your talking driving cars and trucks.
    You should post here:

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/f...play.php?f=114
    your in air now and prob know that but more drivers of land here

anyone with ideas?

If I am reading this right you need a radio that has switch assignment so you can program all four channels onto one stick. For that you will most likely need the upper end radios, which includes the Multiplex Evo 9 or 12, the Futaba 9C or 12 MZ or the JR 10x. Check those radios out and see if they meet your needs. The only problem is that all of these radios are expensive.

Good luck.

no, I mean 2 ch in 1 stick...LSteer-RSteer and Thor-Brake. Just asked what was best radio. Looking 2 get Spektrum DX6

the DX6 or DX7 will be fine for that then. good luck.

If I may ask, how does a quadriplegic drive an RC car? I thought that ment you had lost control of your arms and legs.

Did you get your new radio set-up? How goest the racing?

Couple of things. 75 Mega Hertz is reserved for Amateur Radio Operators, for general public use 72 Mega Hertz. I am assuming you live in the United States, if overseas, then that may be a whole new ball game for frequencies.

27 Mega Hertz is not used in airborne systems, it is used in cars and trucks on the ground, or some electric fly systems (not recomended since it is also used and abused by semi truck drivers as "Citizen Band" radios).

You can set up to use one stick by using only elevator and rudder to fly. This is known as "two axis" system, but then you still need another stick to control the throttle. There are some older "single stick" radios where the three axis are right, left, up, down and twist to right or left. They are around, have to look for them.

The newer 2.4 Giga Hertz radios still use the same conventional systems for control which incorporates two sticks. It is just a different frequency to transmit on and has the advantage of hundreds or even thousands of separate channels to transmit and receive on (ergo "spread" specturn).

Good luck,

Chip
    Chip

9. i am a quad..... 
    i race and fly with a little r/d and a good hardware store...

my powerchair is also bluetooth enabled....

i have with-in the last 2 months raced 1/18th late model oval with my chairs joy stick...
    very archaic control - not as proportional as say a airtronics/spektrum unit...
    but it does work and it is definitely a start in the right direction...
    ***same process as using an iphone***

however roar/ama DO NOT have an adaptive equipment ruling at this time. i am in the process of get'n a classification/ruling on the use of aforementioned...

the tech is available - however questions have been raised involving roar/ama insurance at club and sactioned events. our opinion is it WILL NOT cover a claim involving adaptive equipment...

you can run all you want on the streets or your everyday backyard bashing but i am a racer at heart and use a m11 for racing and spektrum for flying...

i will pm you my email and phone # - if you would like to get in touch with me. honestly buddy you CAN be up and running within a couple weeks.

i am not go'n to be the next nitro world champion or the next 3D superstar but i am also not go'n to be a spectator anymore either....

seriously get in touch with me and post your own youtube vid's....

laterz
    hacker(kevin)

RadioSouth.com
    They will rewire a transmitter in any way you need (for a price...)
    They can build a custom case to suit the needs.

There MIGHT be a local electronics expert in the RC aircraft club who could do it (sometimes for free...) Modelers tend to try to help people who need help.

The ultimate extreme one direction is to build an Ed Henry "Fly Seat" which is a chair with a full scale stick (as found in a Piper Cub) rudder pedals, throttle lever... exactly positioned as per the full scale aircraft.

Wheelchair makers can interface the blow tubes to a TX... allowing a quadriplegic to operate an RC car... or a Plane (using buddy box because this would be REALLY hard by blow tube)

The real limit on what can be done is... $$$$

AMA does not have an adaptive equipment rule because... one isn't needed.
    If you need custom sticks... put em on the TX. (some modifications might require FCC licensed technician to prevent violating federal law) No one will argue even at the NATS flying FAI Pattern competition. We've had people sitting in chairs flying competitive events... with a helper swiveling the chair as needed to keep the pilot aimed at the model.
    Why make a rule about it?

Note also... Some modern radios will allow "sharing" control of the model using the buddy box system. The "instructor" can hand over just one control (rudder for example) several controls.. or ALL controls to the student using the JR X9303 (What I have now... new version is the X9503)

Thus the training in how to use your adaptive equipment with a goal of eventually not needing the buddy box CAN be done at whatever speed you are able to progress.
    Last edited by fhhuber; 11-09-2011 at 01:28 PM.