Notices

Thread: Teaming up with "Mr. Gee Bee," Henry Haffke

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Here's the rest of the wing graphics all applied and smoothed out. Since the vinyl is going over 21st Century fabric, it seems the small bubbles are slowly dissapaiting with time! nothing to worry about!. Fuselage covering this weekend!
    GY
    Attached Images
    Favorite Quote: Passions once set in motion, move themselves... Unknown author.

Started on the fuselage. I covered the bottom first, then the sides and the turttle deck and finally the head rest fairing / fin in one piece of fabric.
    Attached Images

Here you see the one piece of fabric being applied to cover the headrest and the vertical fin. I applied both the left and right side fabric before heat shrinking the material smooth. Most of the wrinkles are pulled out before heating.
    Attached Images

Add some more Caillie Graphics vinyl, and the model is looking more and more like a miniature Howard Ike.

The trick to making the model look neatly covered is to make all the overlapping seams straight and even. I use between a 1/4 and 3/8 inch for overlaps where the cloth is pulled tightly into place.

Callie Graphics
    P.O. Box 95138
    Albuquerque, NM 87199-5138

505-293-2922
    info@callie-graphics.com

For the open space between the fin and stab, I will make a balsa fairing block and then vacuum-form a plastic fairing cover. It will be glued in place and detailed with attachment screws along the edges.
    Attached Images

A really simple plane that is a classic representation of the Golden Age of Aviation and the Cleveland Air Races. Here's a photo from Henry of the full size Ike and its pilot Howard Neumann. Check out those engine cooling louvers! There are 109 of them...Ouch! Each louver requires two slits cut so there are 218 required. To get them all in line and straight I am going to try drawing out all the panels with CAD and then laser cut them out with all the louver slits cut out before the panels are attached to the model with contact adhesive.
    Will start with poster board templated to get the general shape and locations.
    Attached Images

Starting to install the internals tonight. For the Ike I made a lit ply tray that is removable so I can get to the tank and battery packs through the wing saddle.
    Attached Images

the front of the tray fits into a long tight fitting slot at the front and two screws at the back. Remove sthe screws and the tray slides out through the wing saddle. There is enough slack in the fuel lines so that the tray can reach about half way out of the saddle. Should the tray need to come out all the way for a tank or battery replacement, the cable ties would have to be snipped off. Velcro tape and velcro straps hold everything snug and secure.
    Attached Images

The engine is a Zenoah G-26 modified to have electronic ignition by Ralph Cunningham of RC ignitions. It has a helicopter carb, with choke and a modifed throttle arm so that the pushrod is a straight shot. No belcrank or secondary pushrods. The cowl is built up with several rings of 1/2 inch thick balsa, and there is a back and front half of the cowl.
    Attached Images

The front engine cowl bowl is also made of balsa and built up in layers of rings. Once the engine and thottle linkage and fuel line are all setup, the cowl will be removed and I will seal ith with finishing resin. The outside will be finished with resin and .75 oz. fiberglass cloth.
    Attached Images

Here some of the fuselage panel templates are being cut to fit. Once they are finalized for shape and position, I will transfer their dimensions to CAD so the finished panels can be laser cut from G-10 Fiberglass sheets. You can see the sheets in the foreground. You can buy these sheets in various thickness from www.Franktiano.com. I am using 0.015 inch thickness.
    Attached Images

The tail fairing blocks are now in position covering up the open areas between the fin and horizontal stabs. I did these just before I left for vacation, so will get back to the Ike after the 28th. I will add strips of plastic to the top and bottom edges with rivet/screw detail to make them look like access panels that are shown on the 3-views. The bare wood spot shown here was covered before I glued this block into place.
    Attached Images

As I said before, I had the sheet panels of G-10 Fiberglass laser cut to size by my friend Marc D'Antonio of FX Models. www.fxmodels.com
    These are place on the model and taped to hold them in the proper locations. Then I used 000 size screws to hold them on place. I get the screws from Jerry Nelson of Nelson Hobby Products.
    Attached Images

once all the panels are installed, I will remove them all and then seal the balsa with Zap Finishing resin before reinstalling the panels. Also, since the engine cowl sides have compound curves I will glass the balsa and primer and paint the wood in that section. As you can see in the long thin panel, there are slots cut to accept aluminum louvers. These will be added after the panels are primed but before the final coats of paint. You can also see the gas cap at the top of the fuselage. It is from Slimline and is the actual filler for the fuel system.
    Attached Images

The servos and radio and ignition switches are located in the cockpit. The pilot seat will hide the servos. The sides will be filled out with cockpit details.
    Attached Images

I expect to see this fly on my next trip to CT.

Hi John, thanks for the note. But I fear it will be way too cold during the Air Age Christmas Party! :^)
    I was trying to get to the Rhinebeck Jamboree with the model, by that's next weekend! I have to glass the engine cowl and install over a 100 louvers to have it finished. Also the working cockpit fairing still has to be hinged and painted. Maybe I will have it in primer for show and tell! But will keep at it! This is going to be a MAN construction article.
    thanks
    GY

Just started on the engine compartment and the engine cowling details. I use Zap 15 minute epoxy mixed with 25% alcohol to coat the inside of the engine compartment. Later I will sand smooth and paint white. notice the large cutaway for the SlimLine Muffler and for the cooling air to escape out of the bottom of the engine compartment.
    Attached Images

The sides of the cowling are a compound curved surface so the front few inches of the cowl are made with balsa blocks. These form rings that enclose the engine forward of the firewall. To get a pretty finish, I deal with all the ugly under the fiberglass by filling in the imperfections. I use Zap 15 minute epoxy thickened with K&B Microballoons. I whip it up so it is thick as peanut butter and gob it in to shallow areas and cracks/dents. I let it cure a while and when it is semi cured, I sand with 80 grit paper and a long sanding bar. This removes the high spots and levels the repair. I then fill in minor divets with red spot putty from Bondo brand. this sands very easy and dries quickly.

Here the balsa is now ready for the first layers of fiberglass cloth and resin. (Zap Finishing Resin.)

The front part of the cowling will be removable and is held in place with 4 screws.
    Attached Images

Here the .75oz. glass is draped over the engine cowl static cling holds it in place. I use Zap finishing resin drizzling it on and spreading with a plastic coated playing card.
    Attached Images

Even the nose bowl is covered easily with resin and cloth! Use a stiff brush to get it to lay down. After the resin cures, I sand with 80 grit then 220 for a smooth finish and apply a second coat of resin. sand again and then prime.
    Attached Images

here the first coat of resin has cured.
    Attached Images

I met up with Henry Haffke at the recent Rhinebeck Jamboree. He had his 30 year old Ike model there all ready to fly again! Nick Ziroli and I helped Henry put 3 more flights on this famous old model and it is now retired from active service. Had a chance to pose both models together on the flight line.
    GY
    Attached Images

here's Henry's original model built in 1977. was published in MAN in 1979
    Attached Images

The big and the little meet at the Aerodrome.

Oops. here's the photo. I figured it would be a great thing to let the magic of Rhinebeck seep into the model before I finished it! Hey its got to fly better for it!
    Attached Images