Notices

Thread: Teaming up with "Mr. Gee Bee," Henry Haffke

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. Teaming up with "Mr. Gee Bee," Henry Haffke 
    I got a call recently from my good friend Henry Haffke, the same guy who has designed, built and flown more Gee Bee type scale models than anyone else. He has a great book about the Gee Bees and at one point, Henry became an honorary family member of the famous Granvilles, who built the full-size Gee Bee racers. Henry was often referred to as the "5th Granville Brother".

Anyway, Henry and I have worked together on several of his construction articles and have flown together on more than one occasion.
    To make a long story short, our new joint project is going to be a 1/3-scale DGA-5 Howard Ike racer from the 1930s. Wing span will be a little over 80 inches and the airframe will be built around a modified Zenoah G-26 gas engine. As you read this, Henry is busy bashing balsa and I am in the process of getting all the required hardware and radio gear. We will be using one of the new 2.4GHz radios (most likely the 9303) and several JR servos. The model will be covered and finished with 21st Century Coverite and will be well detailed inside and out.

Our plan is to enter Team Scale at one or more of the Northeast US Scale Masters Qualifiers and then go to several local and regional scale fly ins. Henry misses the excitement and wanted to do one more "serious" scale project. I am pleased and honored that he asked me to be the pilot for his newest baby!

I will be posting some project photos here as things develop and in the end, we plan to include the Howard Ike as a construction article in a future issue of Model Airplane News. Included are some photos Henry sent me.
    Stay tuned!
    GY
    Attached Images
    Favorite Quote: Passions once set in motion, move themselves... Unknown author.

This photo shows the Howard DGA-5 "Ike" in Miss Chevrolet" markings with pilot Howard Neumann taken in Miami, FL. it is this version we will be repliacating.

Henry built a smaller 40-size "Ike" several years ago, and has one of the best scale documentation packages I have ever seen for a model. In the paperwork is a letter signed by Mr. Neumann, declaring that Henry's color and markings material was dead-on scale.

We will be developing new 1/3-scale markings for our new model and will be using his original decals and templates for reference.
    Cool stuff on the way!
    GY
    Attached Images

This aircraft has always been one of my favorites. I look forward to the build.

Seems this would be a prime candidate for that new OS IL-300 Dia Star engine.

Oh yes, I agree, that big O.S. inline 4-cylinder 4-stroke would be a great choice! Too bad it cost so much.

I just spoke with Henry on the phone. If anyone wants to see Henry and listen to him talk about his history with the Gee Bee models and the Granville Brothers, he will be at the WRAM show this February 23 - 25.

He recently sent me a building jig for the landing gear. I will be bending it out of 1/4-inch diameter music wire and wrapping and solding it old-school. Nothing fancy.

Also we are going to use internal carbon fiber torque tubes that will go through the wing and plug into the ailerons so there won't be any exposed control horns or servo arms. The ailerons will be supported by the rod inboard, and with a short rod outboard that will plug into a socket at the wingtip rib. Twin servos will be in the wing center. The CF tube will run through the ribs with aluminum sleeves for a smooth action. Basically a fancy strip aileron control setup.
    GY

I met up with Henry Haffke at the 2007 WRAM show in White Plains, NY. He brought the model parts he has been working on as well as some photos of his older 40-size "Ike" built for MAN in 1979. We had a great time talking about the project. Henry also spoke at a very well attended seminar all about the Gee Bee aircraft and the famous Granville Brothers.
    Attached Images

We went out to his car where he showed me the fuselage and the wing! My oh my does Henry build fast! Here henry shows off the 1/3-scale wing of the Howard Ike.
    Attached Images

The modified G-26 engine fits nicely within the large engine compartment of the Ike fuselage
    Attached Images

Henry was also awarded a special achievement award by the WRAM club, for all he has done in the hobby and for his efforts in the preservation of aviation heritage.
    Attached Images

This weekend I wrapped and soldered the main landing gear for the Howard "Ike" project. The main gear, (The struts with the axles,) is 1/4-inch music wire, while the aft struts are 3/16 inch wire. Henry had sent me a jig with the attachment blocks screwed in the correct locations so I could rig the gear wire to fit the model, which of course is in Henry's workshop!
    Attached Images

The Ike's gear is a bit unique in that the struts on the full-size aircraft meet the top of the wheel pants instead of at the cluster located at the axles. This meant that a vertical section had to be included to drop the axles about 2 3/4 inches below the solder joint binding the front and rear struts. Also, Henry's method of securing the wheel pants to the gear required a horizontal trailing wire, that he straps to a vertical plywood plate built into the pants. The little tail wire can be seen here as well. The cross-piece spreader wire is located at the top of the vertical sections above the axles.
    Attached Images

The gear are so large that It took two pieces of wire to make each side of the gear. I used brass tubing to join the wire halves. I cut half-moon openings along the tubing so I could flow solder into the full length. Also since there would be considerable landing force transmitted to the center of the tubing, I added two large center attachment tabs for a total of 6 tabs to secure the gear in place. The tabs are made from 0.072 inch brass stock, and the solder I always use is Stay-Brite high-silver content. It has clear liquid flux that is wonderful stuff. It cleans up nicely with little effort after the soldering is done so it does not corrode the wire.
    Attached Images

Nice work on the landing gear Gerry.

Thanks, I just heard from Henry today. He is going in for a by-pass operation, so i suspect our project will be on hold for a while as he recuperates. Will post more project info as things develop. I am going to be drawing up the full-size markings for the Ike. When I get them all done, I will be sending them to Callie Graphics for the decals to be made
    Stay tuned
    GY

Great news, Henry came through his bypass with flying colors! Our project is now back on track and Henry is starting the covering process. I will be detailing the engine cowl and do the painting when the basic covering materialhas been applied!

A basic description of the model is all fabric covered, engine cowl and upper deckiing and the cockpit cover will be balsa covered with glass and painted. The cockpit cover will be hinged to show a complete cockpit interior. The decking between the aft edge of the engine cowl and the cockpit cover will be removable for access to the fuel tank and radio gear.

There will be non-functional flying an rigging wires and the rib stitching and pinking tape will all be duplicated!

When I get a chance, (after I come back from Top Gun in May,) I will be heading up to Henry's to take more photos and get the parts I am in charge of finishing!
    Stay tuned!
    GY

Here's the latest with this great team scale project. Henry has built the basic airframe and I now have the model in my workshop. The next step is to install all the radio gear and then install the control linkage.
    Attached Images

Tail surfaces are roughed in and will be hinged and then covered and glued into place.
    Attached Images

my formed music wire landing gear has been covered and faired with balsa and balsa blocks to form the scale pants and strut covers.
    Attached Images

engine cowl has plenty of cooling. The engine section will be glassed and painted. The rest of the model will be covered with 21st Century Fabric. Litho-plate aluminum sheets will be added for detailed surfaces.
    Attached Images

The landing gear is attached with several screws to the hardwood blocks inside the fuselage and in the bottom of the wing. Cover blocks will hid the screws and attachment tabs
    Attached Images

Basic wing structure has scale rib spacing and sheeted wing tips
    Attached Images

The ailerons are hinged with two brass rods at each end and ride in nylon bushings made from large control horns. Smooth and free movement
    Attached Images

This is the inboard end of the aileron "Hinging" system. After covering the aileron, and the inner surface of the aileron channel in the wing, you install the aileron and then cover the rest of the wing.

The nylon bearing surface can be bolted into place or glued. If you want to remove the aileron later on, you bolt it in place and make a small panel in the bottom of the wing for access to it. We are just going to glue a plywood plate over the bearing and cover the wing. If later we need to remove the aileron, we'll cut open the covering and add a panel then.
    Attached Images

Finally I got some quality building time in on the Howard Ike Racer. I started on the wings last week and by now, they are ready for covering. All the hard points for scale fittings as well as the aileron servos and aileron control linakages are all done. Sorry I look so grumpy! It was really hot and my daughter snuck in to take this photo. I usually look a lot happier in the workshop!
    Attached Images

Adding the J&B Panels for the ailerons. These machined plywood panel/servo mounts are simply great! They take a lot of building time out of any project! All I had to do was notch out the bottom of the ribs and lay the panel in place. The panel fits flush into the mount base and is held in place with countersunk screws.
    Attached Images

some covering has been done! I covered the wing and the rudder recently and Henry made the trip down to add rib tapes to the wing. I also applied the CallieGraphics vinyl markings to the rudder! These decals go on very easily and are very well made. Match exactly to the templates I sent her
    Attached Images