Notices

Thread: Sport PT-19 (Speed 400 Outrunner)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Moving along 
    I am not getting too much time in the shop and as you can tell my kids are trashing the shop anyway with a summer art class

The old reliable PT 19 number 44 is almost overhauled. It only needs a set of new ailerons put on and it will be ready to go. It has been in the air since Dec of 06 and has well over a hundred flights.

Number 77 is getting there. Next step is to put in the wing bolts, detail out the rudder stripes and hang the tailfeathers and tail wheel. Motor has already be fitted and it and the speed control will slip back in as soon as I cut out the monocoat from the cooling holes

I have been flying an ARF at lunch the last few days and must admit I miss number 44 as it much more fun to fly.

These photos also show the increase in Dihedral in the new wing.
    Attached Images

2. Near the end 
    Starting to get number 77 ready to fly. did a taxi check today to check out the radio

Found a bad rudder servo and will need to replace it later in the week.

Just down to the detailing now.

3. Weight 
    Weighed both models and found they weigh within a half oz of each other

The models without batteries are twenty and a half oz for the prototype and twenty and three quarters for the new one. The batteries will push them to twenty five
    Attached Images

4. Nearing the End 
    Getting it ready for the final photos

Managed to get both into flying trim today and am just going over a few details.

5. Done 
    Well this is done and its time to get back to the covering on the Model Y Gee Bee.

Once again if anyone whants a free copy of the plans drop me a line and I will send a PDF copy that you can have printed at your local Kinkos

The short kit is also available from John Valentine at Top Notch Products out of Tenn.
    Attached Images

6. The Fat Lady has Sung. 
    Well today was overcast and not a good day for photos but a good day to fly a first flight due to no wind and not scorching hot.

I finally get to say "It flew right off the building board."

Increasing the dehidral seems to have made it a little better at slow speeds

The longer nose with the motor being more forward helped with the CG placement.

I would say I was completely done but need to make a few changes to the parts cut order that CPC has recommended having started his PT-19

The really clear sunny shot is the Prototype flying just before I recovered the wing.

The photo of the two stacked on top of each other is why I like this size model. I flew both of them at lunch today and still went back to work.
    Attached Images

Talking with a fellow modelers I pulled out the drawings and moded it them more time. The wing leading and trailing edges are now part of the laser cut short kit. John has added in the sheet stock and a few more items for the fuselage build.

Very quickly John is taking it from a short kit to the full blown thing.

Here are some photos of the proof model. (I now own four) It shows the aileron servos being moved to the outer wing instead of in the fuselage and the tabbed and slotted leading and trailing edges. Also shown is the vertical grain shear webbing that is also now part of the laser cut kit. They droped right in place between the spars. Total parts in the short kit now are at over 190.

The panel is ready to sand and shape the leading and trailing edge along with the wingtip.

Total time to build the wing panel was less than 45 min.
    Attached Images

8. Wink Plans for PT-19 
    Hi there from South Africa - I recentlysaw a member at my flying club with a "Spacewalker" built from a kit and wondered what it had originated from - it looks remarkably like the Fairchild PT-19.
    I am also interested in e-flight and have built a 50" "Bubbles" which flies like a dream.
    Please could I have a copy of your PDF plans for the PT-19 as I am very keen to build one from scratch.

Send me a private message with an E mail address and I will send you plans to the PT-19 and the Gee Bee Model D Sportster also covered in this forum

Charlie

Thanks for the quick reply - my email address is robtech@sai.co.za

Rob

Ballie

Not sure you received the plans in my E mail as I did not receive a response.

Did you get them?

Charlie,

Just a thought, as a scratch builder he might appreciate the earlier stick built version of the plans.

Jim

Digging in my old files I have found a copy of the stick built plans.

They are also available to anyone who whishes to scratch build.

If you send me an address through the Private Message I will be glad to send you both versions. One thing about the later version is the nose is a little longer to help with the balance using the lighter electric motors.

14. Went Flying 
    Having not flown in ages I managed to get the PT-19 dusted off and flew at a friends house. I am trying some 19 dollar LIpos from China. So far they are putting out ok. Of course they are rated at 20C and I am pulling around 5C so you would expect them to stay cool

Not doing too much with the PT-19 design and I can say it is now finalized at revision M.

It still is the best flying electric I have done to date.
    Attached Images

15. Overseas 
    I will mention a builder in South Africa who has taken the plans and scaled them up to a 60 in gas model. He plans to power it with a .46 and as the photo shows is "D" Boxing the leading edge to stiffen up the wing

True model builders can never leave it alone and build it as drawn.

I took Bob's gas model and converted the plans to make it electric. Now it is being converted back.

You gotta love the hobby.
    Attached Images

16. Lost plane locator 
    As I recently had my Stick 40 go AWOL due to a faulty switch and I don't want the same thing happening to my PT-19 when it is completed, so after searching around and not finding much on the net I am now using a wireless door chime which has a range of 100 meters and runs off 5 volts - same as radio receiver. Only mod is to change the heavy speaker for the largest piezo I could find - weighs next to nothing. All you have to do is push the transmitter button and listen for the ring.
    I have nearly completed the wings of the PT-19 and will post some pics when done.
    HAPPY FLYING...........

17. Bobs Original Gas 
    You might find these helpful on the gas conversion.

Bob's original was a .10 gas version

The cowl is hollowed balsa blocks with a paper tube cut into the lower section to route the air out.

I was thinking you may want to power the door chime with a small battery of its own just in case you loose the plane to a bad cell or dead reciever pack.

Do you guys fly on 72 Meg? In Japan years ago they were on 40
    Attached Images

Thanx for the pics of Bob's original, it will certainly help when I come to the engine location and cooling. In answer to your other question in South Africa we use 35Mhz and 2.4Ghz. You can view my clubs blog (VRMC) on http://196.211.8.196, we operate from a disused quarry with a lake (been in there !!) and very beautiful surroundings, unusual as it is in the middle of a city with about 3million people.

19. PT-19 scratch build continues........ 
    Wings and tailplane section ready for covering
    Attached Images

Your construction photos and comments are absolutely great. They would be awsome on CD so that they coul;d be referenced while building (my garage computer is not connected to the internet. It could be an opportunity for a "modeler for proft". That with the short kit and plans would be awsome. I am ordering the Gee Bee from John and would like to explore building it glo powered. Will know better when I get te kit and plans. Any tips? keep at it there are those of us wo look forward to PipesCS's next project.

If building it gas you will not need more than a .10 as this is what Bob's orginal had.

send me a PM on this site with you email and I will send you a build along and a article draft I did on it (Never Published)

I would recommend staying away from the "Modeler for Profit" arena as it is the dark side of the force and will destroy a good hobby for you.

Send you email and I will also send you the plans in PDF to look at in advance

Just recieved these two mails from Rob in South Africa.

Hi Charlie,
    I suppose you thought I had given up on the PT-19 project !! It has just taken a lot longer than anticipated and I have had a lot of trouble trying getting an ASP .46 motor to run inverted. I eventually took it out and put in my Thunder Tiger .46 which runs like a dream. I also had to adjust the position of the fuel tank a few times but it seems sorted now.I just wanted to thank you for the plans and the pics you sent me, they have helped a lot.
    I have attached the latest series of pics (which I will leave you to post on the blog) and as you can imagine I am very chuffed with the results !!

It has been in the air twice now and I am having to reduce the sensitivity of the airelons, but otherwise flies like a dream......
    I have just received a 900kv Turnigy outrunner from Hong Kong
    (www.hobbyking.com) which is the equivalent of an AXi2826 and might try that one day.
    Prices from Hong Kong unbelievable as far as I am concerned - about a third of the price I would pay in South Africa and that is with 7 day registered mail, and taxes - well worth it.
    Hope the knee op is coming on, have a friend who is having both done early next year and will be man down for 12 weeks !!

Regards
    Rob

I still have the plans for anyone that wants to use them. Drop me an email and I will send them out.
    Attached Images

Hi,

I am interest of building this model. I did sent a pm to Charlie about week ago, but he havent replied. Does anyone know is he still hanging around here? If not, does anyone else have both (stick fuselage version and newest version) plans available for personal use?

Thanks,

Sent off the plans. Hope they work out for you.

I am still out here but doing little to no modeling. New Knee was put in and then my job is driving me crazy.

Trying to do a little biking this year for the knee and bloodpressure.

Anyone wanting the plans send me a PM You might also post here to send me an email as I dont always check this site.