Notices

Thread: .40 Citaborea CG

1. Question .40 Citaborea CG 
    I have a Bud Nolsen .40 Citaborea that was built about 30 years ago. Since then, the plans have been lost, and I have no idea where the CG is on this model. If anyone knows, I would like to be informed, since that is the reason for this thread.

Also, I was told by my father, the origanal owner of this model, that is had bad flight characteristics. He didn't know what they were like or what the plane did, so I don't know what is wrong. But I hope to find out. Right now, I just need the CG. So if anyone can help, I would be much abliged.

Cub Lover

Hey CL, the Citabria being a constant chord wing with no sweep, should be balanced between 25 and 30% MAC. Since the wing chord and the MAC are one in the same, start by measuring the distance from the leading edge and the trailing edge and balance the model 1/4 of the way back from the LE. That should get you in the air safely!
    good luck
    GY
    Favorite Quote: Passions once set in motion, move themselves... Unknown author.

3. Bud Nosen Citabria 
    I flew the same plane for years until wing broke in flight. The plane doesn't handle well at all on take off with a .40 size engine. Unless you have an extremely long takeoff. It stalls very easily at low speed. I overcame all the quirks with a K&B 61. After changing from the .40 to the 61 it flew GREAT. Think it just needed that extra power to fly correctly. I LOVED it after the engine change...but was VERY frustrated with the 40 on it.

As I remember I think is is due to the smaller prop size on the .40. It didn't seem to have enough clearance around the large cowl. It seemed to me me the mere 1 inch sticking out the side just wasn't enough thrust but with the K&B 61 swinging a 12X6 it was ample thrust and power.
    Last edited by Citabria; 01-25-2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Afterthought

4. Midwest Citabria 
    I started remembering how much fun the Nosen Citabria was and decided to build a Midwest Citabria. I put a Saito 1.25 on it and it flies GREAT! Overpowerd but one can always throttle back! Check out the video on Youtube.

Midwest Citabria with 1.25 4 Stroke