Notices

Thread: Wingloading & Cruise Speed

1. Wingloading & Cruise Speed 
    A few weeks ago I built an Interstate Cadet from Earl Stahl plans, scaled up to give a wing area of 150 sq.in. The weight, including battery, is about 5.7 oz., which gives a wingloading of about 5.5 OSF. I used a WASP airfoil from Profili.

Last week I resurrected my GWS Cub for at least the 10th time. In its latest incarnation, it came out with a wingloading, including battery, of about 6.7 OSF.

THis morning I flew them one after the other for the first time. I was surprised to see that the Cub, despite its higher wing loading, would cruise markedly slower than my Cadet. I don't understand why. I tried moving the C.G. on tha Cadet back until it got too twitchy for me without significant effect. I started playing with decalage on the Cadet, but ran out of batteries before I could any significant data.

Can anybody give me any clues as to why the Cub will cruise so much slower than the Cadet?

Hi Don,
    There are some pretty marked differences in those two airfoils. The Cub has a fairly thin undercambered section, and this normally means a higher maximum lift coeeficient. Meanwhile, the Wasp section with it's more shallow camber, and stremlined form would likely have a lower maximum lift, and meanwhile a lot lower drag at the cruise conditions. You did not mention, but how far apart is the minimum speed of the two models?
    Cheers, Dave
    Dave Robelen

Thanks for the help Dave. After making the post I compared the characteristics of some thin, undercambered airfoils with those of the WASP and had come to the same conclusion. I guess I had fallen prey to the over-simplification that lower wingloading means lower cruise speed.

RE: the speed difference, I have not done any rigorous testing, but I did fly it at the same time that a friend was flying his Cub and the Cadet appeared to be on the order of 25% - 30% faster - it caught up with the Cub pretty fast.