Notices

Thread: Molding canopys

1. Molding canopys 
    I am currently working on a model that will require a molded canopy.
    I do know that there are several methods for doing this but cannot find any instuctions. Any help would be appreciated

Hi,
    What size is the model?
    Dave
    Dave Robelen

I have molded (vacuum formed) several canopies in the past and I have come to develop two types of plugs. One is for "just get it done" and the other is for "I want it to look good."

Start with either a solid wood block, (Pine or Bass) don't use balsa, as it is too soft and requires too much finishing. Carve it to shape, and fill in with putty to make real smooth. Apply two or three layers of .7oz glass cloth and Z-poxy and sand really smooth. Start with 150 grit then go to 220, then 320 the buff with 400 grit paper. wipe with a tack cloth and use as is. (no painted surface).

For a really good looking canopy, do the same as above, then spray with a quality paint (epoxy two-part) or a polyurathane. Sand, polish and buff. Now use this to make a resin master plug. This requires making a Latex silicone mold, (I have a friend who does this for me!) and pour a resin copy of the original. Take the resin plug and polish it with polishing compound and you are ready to make beautiful. Clear vacuum formed canopies.
    GY

PS: if you want to check out my friend's website, check out www.fxmodels.com Marc is a professional model maker and he has a lot of cool stuff in his basement workshop!
    Favorite Quote: Passions once set in motion, move themselves... Unknown author.