Notices

Thread: looking for comments on plane

1. looking for comments on plane 
    I am looking at getting my first plane, I see that Hangar 9 has a mustang p 51 pts i was wondering if anyone has any comments about this set up is it a true trainner etc...

I would stick to an old school trainer for the first one. The bigger the better.

The new "Mustang Trainer" is just getting ready to ship, hard to comment on a plane nobody has seen or flown yet. I just got the new issue of "Model Airplane News" with the Hangar 9 Mustang P-51 Trainer on the cover, haven't read the review yet but I'm sure it'll be positively gushing (aren't they all?) considering it's the cover plane.

Damien I have the P-51 PTS from Hanger 9 and I have to say that everyone at field and myself included where some what doubting the claims but after flying it is a excellent trainer. Very slow and gentle in the air and most important very forgiving. Landing is very easy and it handles great on the ground. The motor is near perfect from the factor, it did need to be leaned out on the top end slightly. It does need to have a few tanks of fuel run through it to finish the engine break in but after that it has plenty of power. I would recommend this plane to any want to be flyer's or pilots with some skills, who want to have a good looking plane to train on. Needs very little once out of the box to get started. I did add a servo to control the flaps which took all of 5 minutes to do and I did add a fuel filter and that is it.

how much did it set ya back if ya dont mind, I am looking at this one also.
    matt

I paid about $475 CDN for it. I think I seen them on the Horizon site for $399US. Great plane.

thanks that was the lowest I have seen also. I am debating on this one and the alpha but I can get a 6 channel radio and the alpha for about the same price as this one. I will just have to decide here after christmas lol
    thanks again
    matt

I would get the Mustang. It is a great trainer and will last even as your skills progress.

Anyone fly one of those yet?

Jerry

I still haven't actually seen one fly, but I've talked to guys who have seen them and they're supposed to be the shizzel.

I started with an alpha and learning to fly was a breeze but soon i was bored with it and had to spend MORE money to get something quicker (Cipped wing cub) then wouldnt ya know bored agian. (pheonix extra 300s) (lainer mariner 40) (global tequila sunrise .25) wow i LOVE this hobby but my wallet doesnt

But hey you can't take with you so ya might as well enjoy it

amen

I learned on an Avistar, and it was a great trainer. Don't even worry about looks for now, thats not important at all. You need something with tricycle landing gear first of all. Tail draggers come later... I been flyin for 5 years now, and I still think the Avistar is the best plane to learn on. It has a semi symetrical wing, and lands alot easier than a flat bottom winged trainer. I have flown many of the trainer out there, and the Avistar is my favorite !!! I still enjoy flyin them, and will probably get another one someday just for those super windy days. They really shine in the wind compared to others that I have flown. I just finished a Cessna 182 Skylne (40 size) that a friend crashed and gave me, He did a bad dumbthumb, but he said it flew and felt just like an Avistar, so I guess this will be windy day flyer for now. Also, the Cessna 182 Skylane has tricycle landing gear, so it will drive like a car on the ground, and they look totally awesome !!! I love the private plane look... Dennis Flora

Being an old fart I like the Goldberg Eaglet or the Eagle 11, both great fliers and lots less money to start with, there will be crashes to fix while learning, so I'd go the less expensive route. Same engine and radio can be used in a new plane, you can build that while learning on a good trainer.