Notices

Thread: Zenoah G26 prop rpm's

1. Zenoah G26 prop rpm's 
    Hi All,
    I have become the pleased and proud owner of a Zenoah G26 mounted on a large Ultrastick. The literature that comes with the engine is pretty ambiguos about the max rpm's to run the engine, and the choice of prop.
    My setup is an APC 16-8, and the static RPM is just about 12,000 without going extremely lean. At this RPM this engine/prop combo pulls the "Stick' with gusto, without showing any signs of distress. My flying style of aerobatics has me running at full revs for a maximum of 30 seconds, and usually less.
    The question is- Am I likely to harm my gem of an engine running in this fashion?
    PS- I am running a 40-1 mixture of Stihl oil and 87 octane gas
    Regards, Dave

Hi Dave, try putting an 18x8 Zinger or even an 18x10 Menz on the G-26. This is where the engine really shines. You should get revs around 9K and then engine will produce gobs of thrust! I am running the 18x10 Menz on my Hangar 9 Super Cub! Wow!
    GY

Hi Gerry,
    Thanks for getting back to me on the revs issue. The lit sheets with the engine are more than a little puzzling. At one point they rate the max power at 12K, but then at various places require that it be propped for much lower RPM. I will round up a larger blade and give that a try.
    FWIW, I made a couple of mods to the Ultra Stick that have proven to be real enhancements. First, I cut the nose off and relocated the engine 3.3" back from the original firewall location. This dropped 3/4 of a pound between the tail ballast and the chunk of nose that is in the trash can. Second, I doubled the size of the rudder, and increased the fin accordingly. Stall turns and snaps are really pretty now, and with that honking G26, it really rocks in the "power" manuevers. A square vertical eight from the bottom used to be a bit tough, now I can breeze through it.
    Thes model/engine combo should be more popular when the G26 becomes well known.
    Regards, Dave

Dave, is this with the stock muffler? I've got a new one in the box, and would like to know.....

Hi,
    The engine and muffler are completely stock out of the box. While it has run very strong from the beginning, afte a couple of gallons of 40-1, it really is strong. I believe they have a winner in this one.
    Regards, Dave

Fabulous! I've got a scratch-built 1/4 scale Yak 54 on the boards (80.5" @ 1397 sq. in. or so) and I'm hoping this little engine will pull it around nicely. I don't expect unlimited performance with it, but I'm shooting for under 13 lbs. flying weight, so it should be at least "spritely".

And if that design doesn't work with it, I've got another idea to try....

Thanks for the info!

Phil in Austin

Hi Phil,
    If you can bring it in at under 13 pds., it ought be real satisfying. My modified US is just over 13 pds dry, and I would tend to describe the performance as unlimited. This is the first large model that I have flown in the sport category that will easily do a Cuban eight with 1.5 rolls othe downline, or a square vertical eight starting from the bottom. You will love it.
    Regards, dave
    PS My G26 is the easiest starting gas engine on th field