Notices

Thread: super decathlon

1. super decathlon 
    Hi i was wondering what everybody thinks of the dynaflite super decathlon? I am thinkin bout getting it and then buying the us engines 35cc gasoline engine for it...wut do u think of the setup?
    Any suggestions or comments are welcome...thank you

I have flown 2 different Super Decathlon, but not the one from Dynaflite.

The airplane is a very good flyer, stable, slow landing, scale like. Very fun to fly.

But can't say anything about the Dynaflite one since I never had the chance to see it.

silverFox, which ones have you flown i have 40 sized one from GP, looks awesome

I've flown the Pilot kit .40 size, and the EZ (ready-to-fly) .40 size.
    Both are very similar. They fly very smoothly. The Pilot kit was my 2nd airplane after a Pilot Cessna 152 .25 size.
    I think the Super Decathlon is very predictable in the air, good slow landing speed. Stall speed is very low also. Would be a good first time airplane with these caracteristics.

5. Super Decathlon 
    The super decathlon is a great flying airplane for sport and aerobatics. It is not for a beginner though. It has some bad habits depending on the model maker. The Great planes 40 (kit) is no longer made but had a bad habit of snaping at lower speeds, just after take off or during landing. This is due to the short tail moment with the semi-symmetrical wing. Also, the short tail monent will generally make it very difficult in ground handling and keeping it straight during takeoffs.
    Carl Goldberg 60/90 size has a flat bottom wing and I think flys with less bad habits. The Dynaflight is a build up kit but recommends that it not be flown in high G aerobatics.
    This plane is generally for an intermediate or advanced flyer. It needs to have closer to flying speed before take off and carry some power when landing to be safe. Don't know about the electric park flyers on this.

I am "currently" finishing one up for electric power and have read all the threads on this particular model and most people classify it as a pussycat. The wing is designed and built with washout in the wings to help with the slow speed landings. The wing is VERY strong and uses a 1" diam. tube as a wing joiner. I will most likely be using it just for fun flying with the occasional scale aerobatics and possibly for some aerotowing.
    I hope to have it finished within the next couple of weeks then its just a wait for some good weather for a maiden.

cooper998

7. Smile  
    Which elect Decathlon do you have? Let us know how it's set up and how you like the way it flys. Good luck with it.