Notices

Thread: Fundango Blues

1. Question Fundango Blues 
    Hello All,

I've completed the Fundanto Kit, using the recommended Great Planes flight pack consisting of a Ferrite 400 motor, a 20amp speed control, a 1.7 to 1 gear ratio box, and a 10x7 prop. My problem is, the plane is REALLY underpowered. I use an 8 pack of AAA Nickel metal hydrides, 9.6 volts with 700 mah. Should have been plenty of juice. i've also tried changing props, the 11x7, 11x8 10x8 and 9x7 all are horrible. What's the give?
    any comments are welcome.

Snikwad

Props on backwards??

Kyle Sands <>< Huntley, MN

3. Thumbs up  
    LOL! I've been known to make a few flight errors in the past, but as far as I know, I've not put the props on backwards. The very fine printing on the props should face you as you look at the front of the plane. Thanks for asking!

Yeah, I've made several mistakes myself and putting the prop on backwards IS one of them Plane still flies, but not nearly as well, and it sure loses power quickly. Now I try to challenge my flying skills by using props with big chips taken out of them - maybe I should make a trip to the store and get some replacements

Kyle

Hi Snikwad,
    From the sound of it, you are short on battery capacity. That motor draws a hefty current, and those little ni-mh cells are most likely not up to cranking it with the needed gusto. If you were to read the voltage of the BATTERY with the motor running, I bet you would be surprised. Larger ni-mh cells, or a ni-cd pack should fix you up.
    egards, Dave
    Dave Robelen

6. Lightbulb  
    Thanks Dave,

I'll give that a whirl. . . I was curious if those little AAA were cranking out enough juice. I'll give an 8 pack of nicd a try. If those aren't any good, I've got an 8 pack of AA Nickel metal hydrides to give a go. They're awefully heavy for such a little plane, but who knows, it might work!

Hey snikwad!

I'll be doing a Fundango here shortly. I haven't heard any good news on these since they came out! (check other threads) From what I gather the 1.7/1 gearbox isn't enough, a 4/1 seems to be what this plane needs. Did your motor seem excessively hot after flight?
    A Mind is a Terrible Thing!

micromind nailed it, so did Dave.

I just ran the combo in Pcalc: http://custompaintjob.com/ezcalc/dma.asp

It shows 12A, which is about double what these cells can handle, it also shows 3:27 duration. If you drop it to a 7x5 prop, you're getting close @ 8.5A... 6x4 looks good, but I'm not sure if it's available...

I've been known to make a few flight errors in the past, but as far as I know, I've not put the props on backwards. The very fine printing on the props should face you as you look at the front of the plane. Thanks for asking! 3d printing service odisha Jharkhand chhattisgarh anand india
    thanks.